If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Monday, June 18, 2007

360 Gets GTA IV Episode Exclusive

Given the price of consoles nowadays, I'm not a big fan of console-exclusive games and features. However, exclusives bother me much less when I happen to own the right console to receive any goodies available. In this case, my Xbox 360 will allow me to receive episodic content updates for GTA IV while PS3 users will get nada from Take-Two and Rockstar Games.

In a way, I feel for the PS3 owners. Honestly, up until recently, I was an advocate for the PS2 and was looking forward to the PS3. Unfortunately, the PS3's price and lack of games "forced" me to pick up an Xbox 360 instead.

It's hard to believe that the GTA series could go from being a Playstation exclusive to delivering sloppy seconds to the Sony console community.

Do I think that PS3 owners will get something in return for the lack of episodic content? I've read nothing about PS3-exclusive material anywhere; however, I honestly think that Take-Two and Rockstar Games have a few tricks up their sleeves in regards to Sony's console and its fan-base.

I think we could see something along the lines of episodic content released for the Xbox 360 at a cost of 1600-2000 MS points per episode. As for the PS3, they'll get Rockstar's upcoming L.A. Noire which should be pretty good in its own right. However, don't be surprised if you see a somewhat-discounted retail product containing an episode pack for GTA IV made exclusively for the PS3.

As it stands, GTA IV's episodic content gives me yet another reason to hold off on picking up a PS3. But give it a few years and I guarantee that the PS3 will come to dominate the console market - probably around the time that GTA V hits the market. And when Sony's day comes, I'll be first in line to pick up my console for $299...

You can read the full story regarding the Xbox 360 exclusive episodes at GamesIndustry.biz.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Kudos to Microsoft for XBL, which is making this episodic content possible. It's disappointing to see that Sony never took the time to develop online play for their console.

This is Sony shooting themselves in the foot. Again.

I sometimes can't believe they're still in the running in this generation of console wars. Sony's collective foot must look like swiss cheese by now.

Klopzi said...

Mike -

I agree that Microsoft seems to have caught Sony off-guard with Xbox Live and its successful integration into the gaming experience of 360 users.

The PS3 has quite a game of catch-up to play at this point, but I think Sony still has a few surprises up its sleeve.

Until then, I'll sit back and enjoy GTA IV...