If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, June 15, 2007

eBay Your Way to a Happy Father's Day?


Father's Day weekend has begun and I'm looking forward to a couple days all in honour of me. In honour of the weekend, I thought I'd talk about a couple things I've recently purchased and anything else I feel like...

First off, let's talk about eBay! Until a couple days ago, I was a little confused by the whole online-auction thing. Why is it that there are so many people willing to pay so much for various items?

If I find a game that I really like on eBay, I first check out the retail price of the game. I then subtract shipping & handling from that number (and customs if ordering from the States) and take an additional 5%-10% off the price to compensate for the inconvenience of not receiving my purchase immediately. That number becomes my maximum bid and though I may bid a less than that number, I'll never go above my absolute maximum bid for any single item.

A couple days ago, I bid on Condemned: Criminal Origins. The game sells for $34.99 brand new and used copies have been available as low as $29.99. With shipping and handling set at $10 USD (a little steep, IMHO), I gladly set my maximum bid at $19.99. I was prepared to pay a little more for this game since I'd really like to play it.

Well, with less than a minute left for bidding, a couple of sneaky devils slipped in and took my game away from me. Final selling price: $23. The buyer lived in the United States, putting the total cost of Condemned to $37 including the $14 S & H.

My question: why would someone pay that much for a used Xbox 360 game? It would have been cheaper to go to the store and pick up a new copy! It makes no sense to me...

My new goal: find a new or used copy of Condemned: Criminal Origins on eBay that will cost me less than retail.

In the meantime, I did manage to win a couple of items that I wasn't expecting to pick up.

The first game I won was Just Cause. I played a demo for the game a while back and it seemed pretty good. Reminded me of a poor man's Mercenaries">Mercenaries with next-gen graphics. All the reviews that I've read have given the game above-average reviews, so I'm looking forward to playing the game. If you think you might be interested in the game, why not check out GameSpot's review of Just Cause?

The other game I won was Lego Star Wars II. For the price that I paid, I can't be disappointed. I look forward to getting my Lego on by shooting and light-sabering my way through Episodes IV, V, and VI of the Star Wars trilogy.

--

In other news, I've just learned that Half-Life 2: The Orange Box is coming to the Xbox 360 on October 9th! Sweet! It looks like October will be an extremely busy month for me:

  • My son's first birthday on October 7th.
  • Half-Life 2 on the 9th.
  • New baby expected on October 11th!
  • Grand Theft Auto IV hits store shelves on the 16th!
Lord, give me strength! Looks like I'll be getting no sleep come October!

--

Finally, for those who were wondering, I managed to take down Colonel Cowell in Crackdown. Did I find a nice, sneaky way of getting to him and beating him to death with my kicking boot? Nope. I ran through the lobby of his building, took the elevator to the top floor, blew up all his bodyguards with my Firefly rocket launcher, then got to working Cowell's face and body with my Agency-issued boots!

What I lack in cunning, I make up in sheer perseverance and cat-like reflexes!

--

Have a great weekend everyone! Happy Father's Day to all those father's out there! Here's hoping you find a little time to kick back and fire up the old console (or PC) for some good old fashioned gaming!

PS: For those wondering why I used a picture of Kratos in this post's header image: he was the only father I could think of off the top of my head. I do not, in any way, shape or form, resemble Kratos in appearance or mindset...

0 comments: