If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Shopping Spree

Just when I thought my greed might be coming under control, I went a little crazy while "just looking" at some games this past weekend.

Before I knew what had hit me, I'd managed to walk away with three new titles purchased off eBay and three titles from my local Microplay. Throw in an earlier purchase of Just Cause and that puts my current game spree at seven new titles in the last week!

My wife thinks I'm crazy but trusts that I won't put us in the poor-house with my crippling video game addiction. Luckily, I have various forms of income that allow me to indulge my compulsions from time to time.

Although I'm currently shooting my way through Lara Croft's latest adventures in Tomb Raider: Legend, there's always room for more games in the "queue". Originally, I was hoping to clear my game queue before GTA IV was released, but I don't think this is really do-able given the number of games I have to play.

By my count, I have 19 titles that I'd really like to play and finish...and this doesn't count Dead Rising which I'd like to re-visit at a later date in order to finish up some of the psychopath-related achievements. Honestly, there is so much gaming-goodness in store for me that I may have to consider dropping friends in order to free up time. I guess I could also give up sleep in a pinch...?

I'm listing each of the games I recently purchased, along with reviews, trailers, and achievement lists (for those Xbox 360 owners who are interested). If you have any questions about the games listed, feel free to e-mail me and I'll do my best to answer your questions or comments.


Just Cause ($19 on eBay)

This is the first item I'd ever won from an eBay auction. Although the game is not rated as one of the greatest games of all time, I got a good deal on a game worth playing.

Watch the trailer for Just Cause below:



Reviews:
Check out Just Cause's Xbox 360 Achievement list here.


Condemned: Criminal Origins ($23 on eBay)

I've been looking to get this game for a quite a while. Although I'd considered renting it from my local Blockbuster, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to finish the game quickly enough. For a price of $15.50 before S&H, I'm quite happy with the purchase. It should arrive in the mail in the next couple weeks, at which point I anticipate dropping all other games and focusing solely on finishing this game. Who knew that an Xbox 360 launch title could be as good as Condemned?

Watch the trailer for Condemned: Criminal Origins below:



Reviews:
Check out Condemned's Xbox 360 Achievement list here.


Spider-Man 3 ($26 on eBay)

When I watched Spider-Man 3 in theatres, I wasn't all that impressed (Spidey 2 is my favourite of the trilogy). And I've heard that the game is not very good. However, many reviewers have said that there is a certain joy that comes with swinging about a virtual New York City. For $17.50 (before S&H), you can't really go wrong! For all its faults, this is still a Spider-Man game and I'm pretty sure I'll like it. If not, you'll be the first to hear about it, true believers...

Watch the trailer for Spider-Man 3 below:



Reviews:
Check out Spider-Man 3's Xbox 360 Achievement list here.


Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy ($20 on eBay)

I played the first Lego Star Wars game on my Xbox and loved it; picking up the sequel was a no brainer. I managed to win an auction for this game on eBay with a winning bid of $14.50 which makes me happy. It's selling in stores for $30 new and $25 used, so I managed to save a few bucks on a great title.

Watch the trailer for Lego Star Wars II below:



Reviews:
Check out Lego Star Wars II's Xbox 360 Achievement list here.


Earth Defense Force 2017 ($30 from Microplay)

I'm a big fan of Starship Troopers (movie and book). I picked up EDF 2017 during Microplay's "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" deal on used games this past weekend. For $30, I get to run around and shoot bugs, giant robots, and dinosaurs with guns for arms! I've already played the first scenario in the game and find the overall experience to be satisfyingly mindless!

Watch the trailer for Earth Defense Force 2017 below:



Reviews:
Check out EDF 2017's Xbox 360 Achievement list here.


Enchanted Arms ($25 from Microplay)

I've given up on trying to pick up a copy of Final Fantasy XII from eBay for now. I've placed bids in a few different auctions but always end up losing my copy to a higher bid in final minutes of bidding. I'll most likely give the game a try once I've managed to get myself a PS3. In the meantime, Enchanted Arms has all the androgynous characters and confusing Japanese storylines that I need to satisfy my RPG cravings! As a bonus, Enchanted Arms has a flamboyantly gay character who adds a little comedy to the game, whether intentional or not. I've only played the first few minutes of Enchanted Arms, but I look forward to spending countless hours fighting my way through a bizarre Japanese soap opera.

Watch the trailer for Enchanted Arms below:



Reviews:
Check out Enchanted Arms' Xbox 360 Achievement list here.


Splinter Cell: Double Agent (FREE from Microplay)

I've tried a number of Splinter Cell titles in the past, never quite getting into the game. I'm hoping that the Splinter Cell: Double Agent twist of this newest Sam Fisher opus is enough to keep me interested over the course of a whole game. I've only played the two training missions for now, but I look forward to diving into this game in near future.

Watch the trailer for Splinter Cell: Double Agent below:



Reviews:
Check out Splinter Cell: Double Agent's Xbox 360 Achievement list here.

Well, I'd like to write more but I've got way too many games to play! I'll keep you posted on my progress as I work my way though the incredibly long list of games to finish before October. Although I can't forget about BioShock in August...and The Darkness which should be out today...

0 comments: