If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Enchanted Weekend

As expected, the bulk of my weekend was spent hanging out with my family and spending some time kicking back on my Xbox 360. What I didn't expect was the amount of time I spent travelling the sewers, abandoned mines, and underground laboratories in Enchanted Arms.

When my long weekend started, I was hoping for a few things...

First, I wanted my copy of Condemned: Criminal Origins to have arrived in the mail. This game has been eluding me for so long that I've probably placed too high an expectation on the game itself; hopefully, I won't be let-down too badly.probably over-hyped the game in my mind and am in for a big let-down. Regardless, I've been told by the seller on eBay that my copy was sent in the mail early last week, so it should arrive in the next few days. If it arrives tonight, I'll be staying up late...

Besides Condemned, I wanted my eBay'd copy of Spider-Man 3 to arrive in the mail: it came last Friday. I played the game for about 30 minutes and then put it away, thoroughly disappointed. Sure, I'll play the game. And yes, I'll do my best to get as many achievements unlocked as possible for a married father of one (and a half). However, it's not going to be pretty. The controls for Spider-Man 3 feel pretty loose and the camera could use some a lot of work. Throw in some bad voice acting, terrible in-game cutscenes, and last-gen graphics and you'll have an idea of what to expect when playing Spider-Man 3.

Still, it is a game about Spider-Man which makes it worthwhile in my books. For what I paid for the game, I can't argue with any value I'll get from the game. All complaints aside, Spider-Man 3 should take me quite a while to finish so I'll get my money's worth in the "quantity vs. quality" sense of worth...

Finally, I wanted to play some multiplayer Crackdown. Unfortuately, having only a couple friends on Xbox Live really hurts my chances to get a game going. Last weekend was no exception and Crackdown remained unplayed.

Surprisingly, I found myself really getting into Enchanted Arms. I'm about halfway through the game as of last night and I plan on finishing the game up as soon as possible. The only game that will tear me away from Enchanted Arms is Condemned, but I'll have to see how I feel should such a decision present itself.

For those of you out there who like Japanese-style RPGs, I highly recommend giving Enchanted Arms a try. It's got all the terrible dialogue, convoluted storylines, and cool super-attack animations that you could ever want out of an RPG.

--

On a related note, I've also added a new game to my list of games that I've got to have: Eternal Sonata. Due out at around the same time as Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata is another anime-flavoured RPG. According to an episode of X-Play that I watched this past weekend, the game takes place within the mind of the game's main character...Chopin...the composer. How's that for a weird, Japanese plot line? From what I remember from X-Play, Chopin is on his death bed and creates this fantasy world in his head.

Hey, sounds pretty good to me! My wife will most likely make fun of me for playing the game, but I can take the abuse. The game itself looks pretty good (take a look at these screenshots, courtesy of GameSpot) and I've only heard good things about the gameplay.

If you're interested, look for Eternal Sonata (link goes to GameSpot's Eternal Sonata coverage) hitting North American store shelves this September.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I haven't tried Condemned myself. I might get it for the PC when I have enough money though.

As expected, Spider-Man was a disappointment. I think they've milked that GTA-meets-Spidey formula too far (Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 is already too many), and should try to do something different for the series.

If they must use the GTA formula, they should take their time and make one for the ages. But frankly, I think the concept peaked with Ultimate Spider-Man.

Klopzi said...

Mike -

I just find that this newest iteration in the Spider-Man series is just plain worse than Spider-Man 2.

My biggest complaint at this time is the camera: absolutely brutal! When you're jumping high in the air, it'd be nice to be able to point the camera down to pick out a landing spot...

Condemned, on the other hand, is a real sleeper hit with a large cult-like following. I'm really hoping my copy comes in the mail tonight.