If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Take a Look: Clive Barker's Jericho


Like any gamer out there, there are a number of titles being released in the next year or so that I'm looking to get my hands on. At last count, there are forty-seven games that I'd like to buy and play at some point: I not kidding around when I say that I'm greedy!

In any case, I thought I'd add a new feature to this site and look at game art and screen shots for old, new, and current games available. More than just a simple gallery, I'll offer my own invaluable insight (you can just taste the sarcasm, can't you?) into the pictures I post, when time permits and when I can think of something coherent to say.

Without further ado, let's take a look at some art from one of the scarier games hitting your PC and Xbox 360 later this year: Clive Barker's Jericho.

If you've ever watched any of the Hellraiser movies, you'll know that Clive Barker is really good at two things: writing pee-your-pants-scary stories and creating memorable movie villains and creatures that will haunt you for days, months, or years after reading about them or watching them on the big screen.

Clive Barker's Jericho is no exception; however, this time, you'll be the one forced to make your way through Barker's horrifying vision of a nightmare come true. Jericho takes place within the confines a walled city in Northern Africa. Not too scary, right? What if I told you that this walled city contained the souls of slaughtered warriors?

Take a look at the following images and you'll see why Clive Barker's Jericho may very well be the scariest game you'll every play...


Dark dungeon, chained figure, religious imagery: that's what we call "setting the mood"...




Ignoring the fact that this skeleton-like creature has a blade buried deeply in its skull, take a look at its chest. Notice how next-gen graphic capabilities allow this undead warrior to have blood glistening in in the large gashes across its chest, not to mention in the dripping hole just below its ribcage. I can't imagine how scary it'll be to have this guy come running at you on screen...




A nice piece of art showing one of the game's protagonists, Church, fighting for her life amidst a large group of freakish looking ghouls. I'm guessing that, in this case, Church figured it best to simply run up and charge her enemies rather than try to slip by unseen. I guess it's true what they say about female ninjas and the undead...




I think that lighting is what makes the difference between an average looking game and one of those titles that makes everyone who sees it think "Oh my f*ck!". If the shot above is any indication, Codemasters devlopers and artists have really put in the effort to make Jericho Clive Barker's really come to life.




The shot above shows Church putting her sword through an undead warrior who chose the wrong time to speak up and be heard. The detail on both Church and her opponent are pretty incredible! This looks like an in-engine screenshot which makes me think that I'll need to play this game two or three drinks in: I'll need my senses dulled to help me deal with the horror constantly assaulting my senses.




Hi, I'm Joe and this is my brother Pete! We'll be your nightmare this evening...




Most great games have at least one "Oh sh*t!" moment: Jericho is no exception...

0 comments: