If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, December 21, 2007

The Regent and I

With things getting busier around the Christmas season, it's any wonder that I have any time to play video games. Luckily, my wife understands that I'm a weak man with an addictive personality and she does her best to make sure that I get a little bit of gaming-time whenever possible. Last night, I managed to squeeze in enough time with Assassin's Creed to complete the sixth assassination of the game. Great fun was had by all - with the possible exception of Jerusalem's regent who found himself on the business end of Altaïr's wrist blade.

I cleared a few Xbox 360 achievements last night which is always great! I actually have a little trick for easily picking up the The Hands of a Thief achievement, so let's get to it!

The Hands of a Thief [15 GamerPoint]: This achievement is awarded as soon as Altaïr has pick-pocketed 200 throwing knives off the vigilantes roaming the streets of Damascus, Jerusalem, and Acre. Though this sounds like a lot, I should mention Altaïr will steal up to five throwing knives per pick-pocketing. If you'd like to grab this achievement with little muss or fuss, here's my suggested course of action:

  1. Target a vigilante/thug and relieve him of five throwing knives via a successful pick-pocketing.
  2. Select the throwing knives as your currently equipped weapon then face a wall.
  3. Quickly throw all knives in quick succession until Altaïr's inventory is depleted.
Repeat these three steps another 39 more times and you'll pick up The Hands of a Thief and 15 gamer points. I would guess that stealing and throwing 200 knives might take anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes depending on various factors. I only used the above method to get through stealing the last forty throwing knives required for clearing this achievement. Instead, I simply made it a habit to pick-pocket any nearby vigilantes any time I had the chance.

Eagle's Dive [20 GamerPoint]: The Eagle's Dive achievement is unlocked as soon as Altaïr kills 50 enemies using a combo attack. A combo attack is performed by attacking your enemy and synchronizing your attack-button presses to the sound of Altaïr's sword striking his enemy's sword. You'll know you've successfully performed a combo attack when Altaïr's chain of sword swings is fast and results in his opponent's spectacular death. For example, one combo-attack might end with Altaïr slapping his opponent across the face to stun him before plunging his sword into his opponent's back.

Successfully completing a combo-attack when Altaïr is surrounded by enemies can be difficult. Altaïr's attack chain will usually be interrupted by another guard or soldier's attack, forcing Altaïr to call off his own attack in exchange for a little parrying. I had the most success at completing combos by waiting until Altaïr was facing only one or two opponents.

The Blood of a Regent [25 GamerPoint]: A regent is someone who rules during the absence or incapacity or minority of the country's monarch. And let me tell you: Jerusalem's regent was a very bad man. We all know what happens to bad men when Altaïr's around, right? Yep! Neck-stabbing time!

I'm surprised at how well I pulled off this assassination. I guess it does pay to perform all six investigations leading up to the "big" assasination. In my case, the regent didn't even see me coming and was down for the count as soon as my "assassination window" opened up. I won't give further details since I don't want to ruin any surprises for any of my readers.

Well, today's Friday and I'm really hoping that Mass Effect shows up in my mailbox tonight. Although I'm loving Assassin's Creed, I'm still pretty anxious to give this year's best RPG a try. As for the Christmas holidays, I plan on spending a lot of time with my Xbox 360 and a little time playing online poker (my other "addiction" and one that I blog about here). I will continue posting over the holidays and will post my first impressions of Mass Effect as soon as possible.

Have a great weekend!

0 comments: