If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Monday, January 7, 2008

A Glitch in the Citadel


Well, my Mass Effect adventure is finally off the ground. For those of you interested, I've decided to play through the game as a Renegade Adept: in Star Wars terms, I'd be a Dark Jedi, I guess. So far, it's been pretty good though I find that my character gets quickly overwhelmed in combat. I'm sure that things will change once I've grown a little more powerful. For now, I'm thankful to have a Ashley Williams, Alliance Soldier, watching my back.

Ashley Willliams: Alliance SoldierAlthough I'll be back tomorrow to discuss some of the achievements that I picked up over the weekend, I did want to discuss a small "glitch" that I've found in Mass Effect. The glitch occurs while trying to complete the "Scan the Keepers" side-mission.

The Keepers are basically giant spider-like entities that roam the Citadel and perform maintenance and other tasks that keep things running smoothly. Early in the game, you're asked to find twenty-one Keepers scattered throughout the Presidium and the Wards of the Citadel and scan them using an electronic device.

The glitch that I encountered occurs in the Elcor Embassy. When you first enter this Embassy upon arriving on the Citadel, you may notice a Keeper working busily in the corner of the room. Yet when you return to the room later with scanner in hand, you may find that this Keeper has mysteriously disappeared. This is, at least, what happened in my experience. I was actually on another side-mission when I returned to the Embassy and I wonder if that has something to do with this glitch.

In any case, if you leave the Embassy and save/reload your game, you should find that the Keeper is back where it belongs and available for scanning. Alternately, using the Citadel Transit System and returning to the Elcor Embassy will also fix this minor glitch.

In all honesty, I don't really consider this a "glitch". It's more of a hiccup, really, and easily overlooked when you're caught up in the grandeur of the game.

However, there is another annoyance that I've discovered with Mass Effect that is not so easily ignored. I'll keep playing a while longer to see if things improve as my skill with the game improve. If not, I'll be back with further grievances.

For what it's worth, despite the near-glitch and other possible annoyances, Mass Effect has been great so far! It's quite addictive and I look forward to playing lots of this game over the next month or two...or three...

0 comments: