If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Eternal Sonata: Mysterious Unison

After spending a couple hours playing Eternal Sonata last night, I'm quite close to being finished. And though I was planning on completing a quest involving the Mysterious Unison, an optional dungeon in Eternal Sonata, I've changed my mind. Why? It seems that I just didn't know what I was getting myself into when I first set foot inside the "secret" dungeon.

The Mysterious Unison is a 13 floor dungeon. It is only accessible via the Noisy Dunes towards the end of the game. It can be reached by walking off the right side of the Noisy Dunes screen a total of three (or possibly four) times. Eventually your party will find themselves at a hidden oasis containing a small pool of water and a giant locked door. The door itself can only be unlocked using the Hero's Crest; I'll leave it to my readers to figure out how to get the Crest for themselves.

In any case, I made my way to the Mysterious Unison last night. I opened the door, met a former party member who I believed had died, and then set off on a mini-quest to scour the dungeon for Soul Shards. So far so good, right? What's the catch?

Here's why I'll leave clearing the Mysterious Unison for the more hardcore crowd:

  1. The monsters encountered in the Mysterious Unison are quite tough. In fact, some are downright impossible if some users' comments are to be believed. Of course, this is not the sole reason for my decision to forgo conquering this dungeon. I don't mind being challenged...as long as the punishment for failure isn't too steep.
  2. There is only one save point in the Mysterious Unison - but it can be reached at the end of every floor. However, I've read a number of accounts where someone will spend an hour or two fighting their way to a boss fight only to lose and have to reload a previously saved game. No save point before a big boss fight is a big stopper for me. I don't have the time nor do I have the inclination to repeatedly tackle a series of events leading up to a near-impossible boss fight.
  3. Beating the Mysterious Unison dungeon is the ultimate grind. Many users have complained that this optional dungeon seems to punish players' curiosity rather than reward it. Given that the game's ending is the same regardless of whether or not the Mysterious Unison was completed, my choice is an easy one.
  4. And finally, I want to move on to Lost Odyssey. I'm not sure if putting a potential week or two into beating the Mysterious Unison is really worth it. I'm at the end of Eternal Sonata and would simply like to see the story come together and exit stage left. It's a great game and I've gotten my money's worth given the 30 hours that I've put in so far.
Over the weekend, I'll put in the remaining few hours necessary to finish Eternal Sonata. I'll finish the game with a semi-respectable 14 achievements cleared for a total of 170 GamerPoint. I wanted to clear the Mysterious Unison; I just don't want to crawl through a large, dangerous lacking in timely save points. I guess I'm not a hardcore J-RPG fan after all!

Have a great weekend everyone! I'll be back next week with the last part of my Next-Gen RPG Guide, my final thoughts on Eternal Sonata, and my first impressions of Lost Odyssey!

8 comments:

Bossmanyob said...

another reason you should put for giving up is the amount of money you need to buy one of the soul shards...

99,999,999
not a typo its lame

Klopzi said...

That's pretty ridiculous. I guess some people have a lot of time on their hands...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like someone has a sprained vagina....

Anonymous said...

99,999,999 isn't ridiculous at all..the black and orange guys on lvl 12 drop 3 mil per fight. So only takes 34 fights to get it...plus gets you a lot of exp/levels in the process...makes the last boss a little easies :D

I overall like the Mysterious Unisome and suggest those who like the game to try it out. I do not like the fact that there are no saving points in it though....have a few hours cleared up to accomplish it :P --also, the walkways in it are very wide...so you dont have to fight all the monsters if you choose not to.


-JNEdwards

Anonymous said...

I have actually found out that there are saving points after EACH level. Here is how you do it...

We will say you are currently on floor 2 and are getting ready to teleport to the 3rd floor. Go ahead and teleport to the 3rd floor, walk off the portal, then step back on click "RETURN TO ENTRANCE". You will then be right by the saving point....you then simply walk north back to the first portal (where you previously killed the boss) and it will give you a "RETURN TO FLOOR 3" option....it will also have "RETURN TO FLOOR 2" as well, but you obviously would want to go on to the 3rd floor..


EVERY FLOOR EXEPT FOR 5 AND 9 WILL WORK. So save after EVERY floor exept for 5 and 9 and you won't have to be on for hours at a time.

Hope this has helped some people out :D

If you don't understand my gamertag is "JNEdwards"...just add me as a friend and I'll help you out.


-JNEdwards

Jon said...

The OP sounds like a serious scrub.

Anonymous said...

mysterious unison isnt hard i cleared it at lvl 60

Anonymous said...

yes i admit this is a hard area but if you fight dragons on the first floor and use the portal to go back to the entrance they will respawn clear out all the dragons about 3 times to get some exp boost and save at the entrance b4 you head off should help