If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Time to Have Fun!

I'm sorry that I've been away for so long. As I've mentioned many times before, poker is a terribly addictive yet satisfying hobby. It's mentally stimulating and financially rewarding: a deadly combination for a greedy gamer such as myself. But I've missed video games over the past couple weeks. In fact, I found myself getting a little sad while listening to Still Alive the other night and playing a few tables of $0.50/$1 no-limit hold'em. Portal is the most memorable video game that I've played in a while; it represents all that's good about video games.

In an effort to find balance between poker and video games, I'm going to try a drastic new approach to gaming on my Xbox 360. I'm going to ignore my gamer points. I've got my poker bankroll to keep score. My Xbox 360 will only be used for pure entertainment purposes only. I think one of the reasons that I always feel the need to choose between poker and video games is that I've always felt the need to increase my gamerscore and my bankroll as much as possible. These two goals are, more or less, mutually exclusive due to the time commitment required; it's this type of thinking that wears me down.

As of today, I'm throwing away my game guides. I'm throwing away my achievement guides. When I earn an achievement, I will be pleasantly surprised. No longer will I plan out my gaming time according to the achievements I want to clear before shutting down my Xbox 360 for the night.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have for playing games over the month of August. But I can tell you that I will try and enjoy that time as much as possible. I'm not sure which games I'll be playing. I know that I've been on a big RPG kick for the past little while but I may turn my attention back to some of the other games that I've been neglecting.

I'm not sure whether or not my new outlook or playing schedule will allow me to contribute to this site in a meaningful way. My poker site, Klopzi's Mediocre Poker, eats up quite a bit of my writing time. And I'll admit that it's quite hard to write anything non-poker related while I'm studying poker and working on my game. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things turn out. Although I love The Greedy Gamer, this site doesn't have advertisers and sponsors to keep happy. In essence, this site is maintained out of sheer love of video games.

I fired up my Xbox 360 three times in July. Hopefully I'll give myself the chance to play a little more in August.

Have a great weekend everyone!

0 comments: