If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Forget 100% Completion (Lego Indiana Jones)

I was considering picking up all 1000 achievement points in Lego Indiana Jones. But after finishing up the game's story mode last night, I'm singing a different tune today. Why? Some of the achievements are just plain gross.

There was a time when I would have been more than happy to scour a game for hidden packages. But with my limited gaming time and busy life, those days are more or less behind me. Actually, that's not entirely true. My biggest reason for avoiding these "hidden package"-type achievements is that I'm burned out on the whole phenomenon. When GTA III and GTA: Vice City did it, it was new and fresh. And in finding the game's hidden packages, you were rewarded with new weaponry and other perks.

In today's games, finding hidden packages is rewarded with achievement points. But Lego Indiana Jones has 180 hidden artifacts to find! That's a lot of hidden crap to find! Assassin's Creed had hundreds of flags to be found; Crackdown has well over 500 hidden orbs and agility orbs to find. I'd have to be sick in the head (or super hardcore) to want to find all those packages, flags, items, and orbs.

So rather than listing the achievements that I've cleared in Lego Indiana Jones, let me discuss the achievements that I won't be getting instead. These are the achievements that are too time consuming, annoying, or boring to pick up. One last point: please keep in mind that my opinions are greatly influenced by the fact that I have a ton of new games to play and many more games to buy in the coming months.

First on the chopping block are the achievements related to finding all the artifacts (a.k.a. "hidden packages") in Lego Indiana Jones. There are a total of 10 artifacts in each of the game's 18 chapters: that's way too many for me to get. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that many of the artifacts can be a little tricky to get. Unfortunately, forgoing the task of recovering lost artifacts also precludes me from unlocking many other in-game achievements.

Here's a full list of all the achievements that I won't be able to unlock due to my aversion for finding the aforementioned 180 artifacts:

  • This... this is history... (40 GamerPoint): Collect all artifacts.
  • Fortune & glory kid (100 GamerPoint): Complete the game to 100%.
  • You chose... wisely (30 GamerPoint): Unlock all of the available characters.
  • That belongs in a museum! (10 GamerPoint): Complete the "Young Indy" level in Story Mode.
  • Where Forrestal cashed in (30 GamerPoint): Collect 1,000,000 studs in the Ancient City Level.
It's a real shame to have so many achievements rely solely on my desire to hunt for artifacts. Even with the "Artifact Detector" extra activated, finding all the artifacts is still a huge time sink.

The other batch of achievements that I'm leaving on the table are due to frequent game saves and chapter loads. There are achievements which would require me to play bits and pieces of various chapters in Free Play mode. Although that doesn't sound bad, let's not forget the load times required when both entering and exiting a chapter; I'd estimate total load times to hit about 1 minute per chapter refresh. Throw in the fact that there can be a little leg-work involved to get the precise area required to unlock various achievements and we have quite a grind on our hands.

Here are the achievements that I won't be unlocking due to my distaste for frequent reloading:
  • You call this archaeology? (20 GamerPoint): Use a scholar character's academic ability 50 times.
  • Trouble with her is the noise (20 GamerPoint): Destroy 50 objects or characters using the scream and super scream ability.
  • How we say goodbye in Germany (20 GamerPoint): Access restricted enemy locations 50 times.
So what do I have left to finish off? I'll be working towards my last three achievements tonight:
  1. You will become a true believer (20 GamerPoint): Use a Thuggee Statue 20 times.

    I'm going to tackle this achievement in the "Battle on the Bridge" chapter in Free Play mode. I seem to recall that there are three Thuggee statues that can all be activated one after the other. However, I don't recall exactly how long it takes to reach these statues. There may be a better way...

  2. A source of unspeakable power! (20 GamerPoint): Build 250 LEGO objects.

    There is a spot in the "Trouble in the Sky" chapter that has a LEGO object that can be rebuilt over and over. The object is a platform that collapses if a character stands on it for too long. I'll use one of the female characters to jump on top of the object, break it, and rebuild it. I'll have the "Fast Build" extra activated to speed things along. Hopefully this won't take me much longer than 10-20 minutes.

  3. Blow it up! (40 GamerPoint): Blow up 5 enemies with 1 explosion.

    There are two chapters available in Free Play mode that will help me clear this achievement: "Pankot Secrets" or "Escape from the Mines". In "Pankot Secrets", there's an area that contains a whole bunch of attacking spiders. In "Escape from the Mines", there's a group of 8 bad guys who'll attack right at the start of the chapter. Either area should work well enough if I'm able to get in a good shot with a bazooka.
Once I've finished these last few achievements, I'm going to work on picking up a few last achievements in Burnout Paradise. Although Burnout Paradise is fun, it's one of those games that I could go on playing for many, many months. While that's a good thing for someone with fewer games to play or more free time, I'd like to get cracking on Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga.

I'd write more but I've got too many games to play and so little time.

Have a good one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice article. If you ever get time, you should go back and try the 100% again. I was able to do it without a guide for the most part. Once you learn all the tricks, it's pretty straightforward. It's much easier on the second play through, a little less annoying, and definitely more rewarding.

Anonymous said...

I know this is years old but i had to laugh. Seriously, you don't have time to look for the secret packages? That's what the game is all about, finding everything and unlocking everything. The story mode is about 2-3 hours long at most and only serves to introduce you to the levels so you know which characters to pick on free play mode. If all you did is go through story mode you've missed out on about 80% of the game..

Klopzi said...

@Anonymous #1 -

Unfortunately, I sold Lego Indiana Jones as soon as I "finished" it.

Klopzi said...

@Anonymous #2 -

It may seem silly to play through the story mode and ignore much of the free play. But it's a matter of opinion. I only played Lego Indiana Jones to play through the Lego "spin" on one of my favourite movie trilogies.

Once I was finished the story, I just didn't feel like scouring the game for all of the hidden Lego pieces. I'm always impressed when I happen upon someone's gamerscore that contains 100% completion in one or more Lego games.