If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

No Network For You!

It looks like my satisfaction with the PlayStation 3's free online play was short-lived. Although I can typically download from the PSN store without issue, I'm having great difficulty signing in or remaining signed on to the PlayStation network. I frequently get booted from the network for no reason. This is a mind-boggling issue affecting many PS3 users and I'm not sure if there's a quick solution.

I've placed the PS3's static IP address in my router's DMZ and I've disabled the PS3's media server setting. The only thing left to try is to update my router's firmware; I highly doubt that this will fix anything. I'm able to connect to the Internet and download using my PS3, Xbox 360, and both of my laptop computers. The issue is only with the PlayStation Network.

I'm not sure who's at fault here. I don't care whether it's Linksys or Sony either. I just want someone to fix the problem. But in all honesty, I don't really play online very often. I was going to give online gaming a real shot with Burnout Paradise on my PS3 but it's not a deal-breaker if I can't. The PlayStation 3 is still an incredible Blu-Ray player and it offers a number of quality games (though very few exclusive titles) for me to play.

Tonight, I'll be trying to finish LittleBIGPlanet. If I get too frustrated, I'll fire up Burnout Paradise and Flower. But I'd really like to get LBP done so that I can get back to the boring African landscape of Far Cry 2. I borrowed FC2 from a friend and I don't want to leave him hanging for too long. Mind you, he seems less than enthused to play FC2 after hearing my "glowing" review. Frankly, I'm not even sure if I'll be able to finish Far Cry 2 before tossing the game aside. It's really, really boring and tedious at times. It's a real shame too: the game had so much potential. Maybe I'll feel differently about the game after I've had the chance to complete a few more story missions.

Have a great day!

0 comments: