If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Call of Duty 3: First Impressions and Achievements

I've taken a break from my PlayStation 3 for the past few days. I still love the console but I've got some older Xbox 360 titles that I'd like to play and finish while they still have half-decent trade value. I recently discovered a site, www.tivs.ca, that lists games' trade-in values at EB Games, Blockbuster Video, and Future Shop (i.e. BestBuy). This site is for Canadians only but I'm sure there must be similar sites that exist for most countries out there.

I'm about two-thirds of the way through Call of Duty 3 after playing two sessions. The game's not very long but it's been pretty fun, for the most part. The graphics are a little dated and the gameplay is generic but I'm always up for shooting Nazis. I've enjoyed the fact that COD 3 puts me in the shoes of different soldiers of different nationalities: Canadian soldiers, U.S. soldiers, British soldiers, and crazy Polish tank guys are all present. Soldiers all play the same save for the Polish tank drivers who get to take out enemies from the safety of their reinforced tanks. And the Canadian soldiers seem to have the more difficult missions, in my opinion. Of course, I may be biased.

I've done a pretty good job of racking up the bulk of the single-player achievements. In fact, I've only got a few remaining achievements to clear: Polish Tanker (complete 2 missions as a Polish soldier), Big Air (find a big jump and catch some air), and Won the War (finish the game). I will admit that I'm only playing COD 3 on the easiest difficulty. I wasn't looking for a challenge here: I just wanted to relax, kill some Nazis, and trade in the game before month's end.

I do have a few tips for some of Call of Duty 3's achievements. Without further ado...

Hot Potato [25 GamerPoint]: Pick up and return 5 live grenades.

At the beginning of Chapter 6: Fuel Plant, you'll find yourself near a trainyard. Nazis will beging yelling and shooting as you approach the trainyard. Hang back and wait for them to start throwing grenades. As soon as the grenades start flying, do your best to run around, pick them up (using the X button), and throwing them aside (using the RT button). Be careful to not throw the grenades back at the Nazis since you'll need them to continue throwing grenades at you. You should be able to pick up and throw 3-5 grenades without any difficulty. If you're unable to return 5 live grenades before the Nazis are shot by your squad mates, don't worry: there will be further opportunities throughout the remainder of this chapter.

Rifleman [15 GamerPoint]: Complete a mission by firing only bolt action rifles. Melee attacks don't count.

See Conservationist below.

Battlefield Scavenger [15 GamerPoint]: Complete a mission by firing only German weapons. Melee attacks don't count.

See Conservationist below.

Conservationist [20 GamerPoint]: Complete a mission using less than 300 rounds of ammunition.

Chapter 3: Night Drop is a great level that will allow you to easily pick up 3 achievements worth 50 GamerPoint. At the start of the chapter, take out a Nazi using your melee attack (click the right thumbstick). Pick up his bolt-action rifle. For the rest of the level, use only the bolt-action rifle, melee attacks, or grenades to take out your enemies. Be sure to line up your shots and take out enemies using only one shot. You should be able to finish off Chapter 3 using well-less than 300 rounds.

Allergic to Bullets [25 GamerPoint]: Avoid getting hit more than 30 times during a mission.

This achievement sounds hard, right? Well - it's not. In fact, it's pretty well a gimme. In Chapter 7: Black Baron, you'll find yourself playing as a Polish Tanker. Take your time, hang back, and take out any tanks that you see as quickly as possible. A good techique to use is to hide your tank behind a building, poke out just enough to take a shot at your target, then quickly retreat back to cover. Time your movement and shots to any enemy tanks shots and you should be able to avoid getting shot at all. As for any infantry, simply use your machine gun (LB) to take them out ASAP.

Close Quarter Combatant [100 GamerPoint]: Complete a mission without firing a round. Player can make use of melee attacks and hand grenades.

Would you like to know the big trick to picking up this achievement? Play the game on Easy difficulty. I picked up this achievement after finishing off Chapter 2 without firing a single shot. I let my squad mates clear out as many enemies as possible. I lent my support by lobbing a few well-timed grenades here and there. I also rushed headlong into certain combat situations in a desperate attempt to close to melee distance with the enemy. This achievement really isn't difficult at all. I'm pretty sure you can die repeatedly and still pick up the achievement. For what it's worth, I played the first two Chapters of the game without ever firing a single bullet.

Let me know if these achievement tips help you out while playing Call of Duty 3 for the 360. Although I somehow doubt that many of you will take the time to play this somewhat-dated title given that both Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: World at War are both much newer and totally awesome when compared to COD 3.

In any case, I've got about five missions to finish off before I trade in COD 3 later this week. And then I'll have to see what game to play next. Maybe I'll check www.tivs.ca and let trade-in values dictate my choice as was the case with Call of Duty 3.



Here's a bonus trailer and a couple video reviews for Call of Duty 3. Have a good one!








0 comments: