If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Duty, Dirty Deeds, and Diesel

I finished off Call of Duty 3 last night. All in all, the entire game took me only three medium length sessions (roughly 9-10 hours total) to finish on the easiest difficulty level. Why don't they make more games like this? Call of Duty 3 may have been short but I got to do and see everything that I needed to do. Should Treyarch have added more content just for the sake of the game's length from start to finish? I don't think so. Short and sweet - that's the way I like my games...except for RPGs which I like long and hard...wait, that didn't come out right, did it?

With Call of Duty 3 finished, I've been trying to decide whether or not I want to buy Wheelman tonight. I've been waiting to see how well Wheelman reviewed before making my decision to play or pass. I gave the demo a spin over the weekend and it was awesome! I'm not a huge arcade-style action nut but Wheelman just felt right. Controls were tight, Vin Diesel's voice-overs were awesome, and I loved the setting of Barcelona. And the thrill of driving through a mall at top speed or smashing through a small cafe at the side of the road is pretty entertaining!

So far, Wheelman's reviews are mixed. It seems that there are two types of reviewers: those who "get it" and those who don't. In the case of Wheelman, I think I'm more likely to side with the reviewers who loved Wheelman. It seems to have all the elements that I like in a game: a story with cut-scenes (even if the story is superficial), lots of missions (30), lots of side-missions and other activities (105), super-cool player abilities (180 cyclone, aimed shots), and no tacked-on-at-the-last-minute multiplayer mode. Hey! I think I've just convinced myself to buy the game for my PS3! If I can get out to EB Games tonight, I mayt pick it up...assuming I can find a few more positive reviews between now and later this evening.

And finally, in other news, have you seen the latest video for inFamous? The whole "karma" system is presented and examples of good and evil choices are shown. Frankly, this latest video may have been the one that convinces me to buy the game for $59.99. The lead character, Cole, delivers his lines in a low, Dirty Harry style as opposed to some stupid hip-hop jibber-jabber. I'm not sure if the voice fits with Cole's look but I don't really care: I like it!

Another thing that I like about the video is that you'll see and hear Cole interacting with various citizens and with some of his friends/partners/love interest(?). Enough talk - check out the video:




Have a great day everyone! I hope you're all enjoying your games as much as I am!

2 comments:

free games said...

Agreed. Games need to be fast and furious, not drag themselves and bore players to death. Max Payne still is one of the prime examples.

Klopzi said...

I liked the original Max Payne. It's the first "action" game that I played and it taught me to use the dual analog PS2 controller.

I think a good example of a game that drags and ends up being far too boring is Far Cry 2. Great idea, great graphics, and a slew of horrific game-design decisions.