If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Resistance 2 Finished!

It didn't take me very long to fend off the latest Chimeran threat to humanity. I guess that's one of the perks of playing as super-soldier Nathan Hale. I was also playing the game on Casual difficulty because, well, I'm a terrible FPS player. But that doesn't diminish the fact that I guided Hale into his short-lived role as the Earth's ultimate saviour.

I've packed up Resistance 2 and gave it back to my friend. I got all that I wanted out of my first and only play-through of the game. Despite my earlier bitching that Resistance 2's story was a little on the predictable/boring side, I finished the game with a smile on my face. The game's final boss battle turned out just as I thought it would; however, Insomniac Games executed the game's final set of challenges and rewards quite well.

I have to say that I really, really enjoyed the boss battles in Resistance 2. The bosses were all formidable and extremely impressive in their own right. While many of Resistance 2's environments and graphics are ho-hum, creatures such as the Leviathan were a treat to fight and, ultimately, destroy. I'd go so far as to say that I enjoyed R2's bosses more than those I fought in Gears of War and many other similarly-themed games.

One thing that struck me late in the game was how well Insomniac designed R2's weapons. Each gun feels balanced and useful. No matter the situation that arose, any gun could get the job done; however, some guns handled certain situations with such elegance that I couldn't help but smile at the top-notch game design. There was no better feeling than picking off swarming enemies with a Rossmore shotgun. Then there were the times when I just happened to have an Auger (shoots through solid matter) when pinned down by approaching hostiles. And the tagging feature of the Bullseye guns was such a great feature reminiscent of a gun demoed by Zorg in The Fifth Element. Brilliant!

Resistance 2 graphics, sound design, level design, and story are all average (or perhaps slightly above average) at best. But a good game sometimes needs more and Resistance 2 provides these extras in spades in the form of memorable boss battles and excellent weapon variety and design. In the end, I will remember many of Resistance 2's moments for the rest of my gaming career. And in my books, that makes Insomniac Games latest FPS a huge success in my books.



Next up on my plate is Mirror's Edge and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Due to a change in my gaming setup at home, you may notice the focus of this site leaning a little more towards Sony's PlayStation 3 for the next month or two. I'll discuss this in more detail in the days to follow. For now, I'll leave you with a trailer for EA's under-selling but well-reviewed Mirror's Edge.



Have a good one!

0 comments: