If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, May 8, 2009

Humanity Saved...Again! (Gears of War 2)

I finished off Gears of War 2 last night. It was a short game but it was flat-out awesome. For some reason, I really wasn't expecting that much from this sequel. But Gears 2 certainly delivered on all fronts.

I'd have to say that Gears 2 easily beats any other game out there in the graphics department. The character models are unbelievably awesome. The environments look spectacular - even while crawling around underground. It all looked so consistent and realistic that I'm still a little shocked.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the voice acting and story are top-notch. I don't expect much from a shooter in terms of story. Gears 2 delivers just enough story to keep you glued to your controller without force-feeding you unnecessary lines, silly plot twists, or vacuous filler. The game presents a fairly simple and neatly told story that pushes you from start to finish with a certain intensity rarely seen in most games.

Gears 2 biggest selling point (besides its graphics) are the game's pacing and level design. I had fun playing the single player campaign. In fact, I'd say that Gears 2 may slightly beat out Call of Duty 4's campaign in many ways. From the moment I started playing, I was hooked. The story prodded me along and the gameplay kept me wanting more. Everything felt infinitely refined and solid with no single detail overlooked or untested.

Gears of War 2 is - without the shadow of a doubt - the very best shooter ever made. The only game that comes close is Call of Duty 4. It's kind of a toss up between the two. I prefer fantasy to reality so Gears 2 is probably my favourite by a very slight margin.

If you haven't played Gears of War 2, grab yourself a copy and play it today. It is just that good.

As for me, I start playing Fable II this weekend. I'm really looking forward to playing something more jovial and less stressful. I've spent much of the past month killing grubs and facing off against nightmarish creatures. It's time for a change of pace and Molyneux's latest opus is just what the doctor ordered.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

GavinFeasel74 said...

I agree. The story did have depth and alot of structure. the only thing that made me worry was there were too many questions left unanswered. the glowing locust, Adam Fenix, the queen. all of the events that happened in gears 2 leads me to believe that a 3rd gears is in progress. My only concern with this is will it take the path Halo did? the first 2 games had a great story and then the ending game just seemed pieced together, almost like it was rushed. it didnt really hold my full attention like its predisesers did. But getting back to Gears; there is alot of background story to it that not very many people know. By what i believe by reading the background forums posted by the designers of Gears, the queen is most likely Marcus' mother. the Locust are actually people that have been mutated by the immultion, starting with rust lung. the lightmass bomb cause the immultion to become more radioactive; causing the spread of rustlung and the rise of the lambant. the Locust were taking prisoners to create an army to defend themselves from the Lambant. Niles tried to reverse the Locust effect on ppl. In doing so he created the Sires. If you look closely, the queen resembles one. possably the queen was his first successful trial. this is just my idea. i have alot more thoughts but i should stop while im ahead. By the way, if any one reads this and anything i said about the Gears 3 becomes a reality, please let me know. it would be histarical if i was. My gamertag for Xbox Live is GavinFeasel74. if you want to share ideas or just play some Live together, add me. (sry for the typos)

Klopzi said...

Gavin -

That is probably the most thought I've ever seen anyone put into a comment.

There are many points brought up that I think are likely. I was thinking that the Locust Queen may have been Marcus' mother; however, she could also been a family friend who became the first Sire.

As for your theories on the origins of the Locust, very interesting. I guess we'll see what happens in Gears 3!

Thanks for the comment!