If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Fable II)

My plan for Fable II is to finish the game as a true Hero. I want to be a shining example of humanity's ability to rise above the muck and corruption of the world. I want to be a shining beacon of all that is good and pure so that all inhabitants of Albion will feel compelled to better themselves and the lives of those around them.

Of course, how could I truly understand the human spirit without experiencing first-hand the sins, evils, and other decadence available only to those who choose the walk a shadowy path? With my ultimate goal still firmly in mind, I took my new Fable II character and began my journey into the darkness.

My immediate goals in Fable II were pretty simple. I wanted to pick up some of the evil-oriented achievements without forcing myself too far astray from whatever guidance offered by my moral compass. For example, I refused to simply walk about the cities and towns of Albion killing random citizens. I think it takes a certain type of person to blatantly kill innocent NPCs with blade or gun. This is much harder to do in Fable II because each and every NPC has a name, likes, dislikes, and a personality.

Of all the achievements below, I found it morally difficult to kill innocent villagers for The Executioner achievement. Well - maybe "difficult" is too strong a word; I did feel a funny tingling in my stomach whilst clearing the achievement though. I believe "guilt" is what I was feeling but my wife tells me that it was just my late supper settling in for the night.

The Chicken Kicker: Kick a chicken a good distance, or see one getting kicked. [5 GamerPoint]

Every journey begins with a single step. In the case of becoming a right evil bastard, my journey started with a single kick...directed at an innocent chicken. I ran about the Gypsy Camp kicking any chickens I could see. I eventually kicked one far enough to unlock this achievement. There is no trick other than directing your kicked chicken towards an area without many obstructions to stop the bird's unexpected trip. A fowl achievement indeed...

The Rogue: Steal something undetected from a building while there are people nearby, or see another Hero do so. [5 GamerPoint]

On a scale of 1 to 10, stealing items from chests, bookshelves, and other household containers rates a 1. I've grown used to ransacking others' dwellings over my years as a role-playing game addict. To steal something undetected, I crept to the top floor of the Bowerstone inn and took a look in a cupboard when no one was watching.

The Extremist: Reach 100% purity or corruption, or see another Hero do so. [15 GamerPoint]

I didn't want to corrupt myself by being truly evil. So I simply bought a couple houses and a small business in the Bowerstone Market. I made sure to jack up my prices and rent to 100%. You'd be amazed at how quickly I hit 100% corruption.

The Executioner: Sacrifice ten people in the Temple of Shadows, or see another Hero do so. [10 GamerPoint]

This achievement was a little nasty. I don't like killing innocents. Luckily, the deaths were very quick. To get this achievement, I first visited the Temple of Shadows via my Quest menu. I made it past the guard by proving my mettle (i.e. eating five crunchy chicks). Beneath the Temple of Shadows is a Wheel of Sacrifice. By visiting Bowerstone and having random villagers follow me, I was able to lead a total of ten people (over three separate trips) back to the Temple of Shadows and the Wheel of Sacrifice. Three easy pulls of a lever saw 4 innocents killed by lightning, 4 killed by blades, and 2 turned into chickens. If you'd rather not go to Hell, I'd avoid sacrificing women or children. However you choose to make your sacrifices, this is an easy 10 achievement points.

The Paragon: Reach 100% good or evil, or see another Hero do so. [15 GamerPoint]

After my recent interactions with killing innocents for profit, I decided to forgo murder as a means of becoming 100% evil. Instead, I ransacked most homes and businesses in the Bowerstone Market. Every single act of theft or vandalism pushed me closer and closer towards absolute evil. It only took me 20-30 minutes of stealing to become bad to the bone. You may be able to pick up this achievement faster by killing innocents but why go that route unless you have to? I guess I'm not cut out for this whole "evil" thing...

With my Fable II character now 90% corrupt (I've lowered my rent rates and shop prices) and 100% evil, it's time to make reparations. As my character (currently nicknamed Desperado) now turns his focus on amassing a real estate empire and putting an end to the real evil reaching across Albion, I'll be doing whatever I can to become a beacon of all that is good and pure. My plan is to:

  • Continue lowering rent on all my properties.
  • Offer bargain basement prices on all goods sold by my stores.
  • Eating lots of tofu and vegetables; pies and booze will be donated to the needier inhabitants of Albion.
  • Donating money to the Temple of Light (when the option becomes available).
  • Donating money to the beggars of Albion.
  • I'll buy and play a lute. Honestly - how many tyrants do you know of who play the lute? Exactly!
Have a good one!

0 comments: