If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, July 31, 2009

It's Hazard Time!

I was taking a look at some of the PS3 trophy sites (e.g. ps3trophies.org) trying to figure out what trophies I could clear while playing Eat Lead. I decided to visit the forums and found a number of players claiming that it was very easy to beat Eat Lead on the hardest difficulty setting. Well, I just wanted to take this opportunity to say "bullsh*t"!

Eat Lead's boss fights have been some of the most grueling, nail-biting, and inordinately tough bits of gaming that I've ever seen. Sure, there are a few fights that amount to playing through delightfully-simple QTE mini-games. But for every QTE boss fight, there is an incredibly disgusting boss fight. And I'm playing through Eat Lead on the easiest difficulty setting!

Am I getting too old? I can't be the only who finds limited ammo, big bosses, and a never-ending stream of spawning minions to be tough! Seriously. My last two session with Eat Lead have seen me put down my controller and give pause to what I was trying to accomplish. In one fight, I began doubting that I'd ever finish Eat Lead. In another fight, I kept dying convinced that Matt's on-screen death would trigger some cut-scene that would transport him to safety. I couldn't have been more wrong.

All that aside, Eat Lead does have a certain amount of charm. Matt Hazard starts off the game as a macho and arrogant S.O.B. But as you play through the game, he develops a few chinks in the armour that show his softer and more "human" side. Of course, Matt is supposed to be a simple computer-generated character so it seems odd to discuss human emotions. Still, you can't help but feel for him as he discovers that he's no longer a big time video game star and everything about him, from his bad-itude to his tag line ("It's hazard time!"), are a joke in the game industry.

I'm sure I'll finish off Eat Lead over the weekend. I'm on the "last level" and plan on guiding Matt to safety. Hopefully the final boss fight isn't too hard...though I fear it will be far worse than I could possibly imagine.

Have a great weekend!

0 comments: