If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Too Many Games?

If you've been a regular reader of The Greedy Gamer, you'll know that I love playing video games. Sure - poker gets in the way from time to time. Yet still I come back to come back to video games time and time again. I'm a sucker for a good story and fancy graphics with gameplay coming in a close third. I've been focusing heavily on poker over the past few months but have noticed a change in the past couple of weeks. More and more, I've found myself just wanting to kick back, relax, and enjoy some games.

Over the weekend, I went a little crazy and bought myself another bunch of games. I don't have the time to play all the games that I buy but I buy them all the same. I can't help it. When I walk into my local Wal-mart and see a game selling at 50% off, I have to buy it! If I see a game that I've been looking forward to trying hit the magic $29.99 retail price, I can't help but throw it into my shopping cart.

The games that I bought this weekend are all games that I've been looking forward to playing for some time. I might have paid full retail price for some of these games but decided to hold off due to a constant overflowing video game library. It's hard to justify spending $60 on Dead Space when you're actively playing Fallout 3, Too Human, and Braid all at the same time with only an hour's worth of gaming time every day.

Here's a list of my four most recent semi-impulse buys. I think I did a great job given the prices I paid and the countless hours of fun I now have lined up!

Wheelman
Vin Diesel, car crashes, and crazy stunts in Barcelona. Although the game was not received all that well by critics, I really like the demo and have been looking forward to playing the retail game.



Dead Space
I talked about Dead Space a little bit on this site (see here and here). My only reason for putting off this purchase was due to my track record with scary games. I tend to play them for a few hours before getting too scared. I've been known to hold off on playing a scary game for years at a time depending on just how badly I've been spooked. I hope to finish Dead Space this year but I'm not making any promises: it looks horrifying.


Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazzard
Eat Lead was panned by critics for being buggy and stale gameplay. But I've also heard that Eat Lead is quite funny at times. That's a good enough reason for me to buy and play this game. Of course, the extremely favourable sale price really helped seal the deal on this one.


MotorStorm Pacific Rift
I never played the PS3's first exclusive MotorStorm title. Why? No trophy support. I can't help it: I'm sucker for achievements and trophies. Thankfully, MotorStorm Pacific Rift has trophies with great graphics and gameplay to boot! I found this game at my local Wal-mart at an incredibly low price. I'm not sure if the game was mislabeled but I'll take it! I can't wait to give MotorStorm a try!


As much as I'd love to jump right into my new games, I'm currently playing Resident Evil 5 on my 360. I borrowed the game from a friend and I'd like to finish it up before I set my sights on anything else. I was originally going to play Spider-Man: Web of Shadows upon completing RE5 but I think a change of plans is called for given my recent influx of gaming goodies.

My video game library is way too full right now. I've got so many games lined up that I'm hereby banning myself from buying any new games. Over the next few months, I'm going to try to play and finish the following games:
  1. inFamous: I actually finished this one up over the weekend! Awesome!
  2. Secret of Monkey Island: I actually bought, played, and finished this game over the course of three playing sessions this past weekend. Amazing game and well worth 800 MS points! It brought back so many terrific gaming memories.
  3. Resident Evil 5: Two chapters down, four chapters to go...
  4. Eat Lead: I'm going to tackle this game on the hardest difficulty setting in an attempt to grab as many trophies as I can in a single play-through. I just hope that the critics were being overly harsh with this title...
  5. Prototype: I bought the game and I should finish it. Blech...maybe the second half of the game is better than the first half?
  6. Dead Space: It's been a while since I peed my pants...
  7. Wheelman: I love me some GTA-style sandbox games! Looking forward to automotive melee attacks!
  8. MotorStorm Pacific Rift: I'll probably keep this title for a while and play it off an on when the mood strikes. But I'd like to sink at least ten hours into Pacific Rift before putting it on the backburners.
  9. Lost Odyssey: I finished Disc One of Lost Odyssey a long, long time ago. I don't recall all that happened but I'm sure it'll come flooding back to me in the same way that Kaim's memories pop up throughout the game. What I do remember is that I'm on my way to speak with or kill a witch living in some alternate dimension. I'm pretty sure she's Kaim's wife (spoiler?) but I'll find out soon enough.
  10. Blue Dragon: I originally bought this game thinking that I'd actually get some achievement points by playing it. I was wrong. Blue Dragon is best experienced in a traditional gaming-sense. The achievements in Blue Dragon are primarily cleared via "the grind" and it's not something that I want to do. I just want to play a game that has a bunch of cute kids, adorable shadows, and huggable creatures duke it out for glory, lollipops, and rainbows.
  11. Mercenaries 2: World in Flames: Hey...why not? I bought this game back when I picked up Mirror's Edge and have yet to actually play it.
This is my definitive list of games that I'll be playing starting...now! If you notice that I've strayed from this list, feel free to leave a comment and get me back on track.

Of course, should any publishers or marketing companies out there feel the need to send me review copies of games, I'll gladly squeeze those into my gaming "schedule". Ubisoft - need any glowing reviews of Assassin's Creed II?

Until I've finished all of the games listed above, not a single penny will leave my wallet or my PayPal account to purchase any games...unless I can get my hands on cheap copies of Tales of Vesperia, The Last Remnant, or Infinite Undiscovery...

I need help...

0 comments: