If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

360 Updates and the PS3's Lovable Lombax

The new Xbox 360 dashboard update launches today. And once again, I'm left not caring because I live in Canada. There seems to be such a big push towards the "digital entertainment" thing with Netflix being the biggest selling feature. Well, we don't get Netflix in Canada. We don't have the bandwidth and we don't have the rights for digital distribution. I'm also pretty sure that the CRTC hates giving Canadians any alternatives for watching U.S. broadcasts, preferring to force-feed us as much useless and crappy Canadian content as we can stomach. We don't even get things like Hulu up here in Canada either. In short, Canada does not do digital downloads or "streaming" very well.

So what does this 360 update do for me? I can digitally download old games for twice the retail price. Or I can buy clothes for my avatar. I tell you: the PS3 looks better every day.

In playing news, I've been playing a bunch of Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. Great game! I loved R&C on my PS2 and they're still going strong. The writing, voice acting, and gameplay are all fantastic. I think that the Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, and Jak & Daxter series all represent the pinnacle of platform gaming. I'm happy to see that trend continuing with the "next-gen" Ratchet & Clank.

I'd say I'm about 80% of the way through Tools of Destruction. I have a couple more sessions to play before I can put the game away. It's just a shame that there are no trophies. I've grown so accustomed to trophies and achievements that there are times that I miss the seeing PS3 trophy notification pop-up on my screen.

Once I've finished R&C, I'll be moving on to Red Faction: Guerrilla. I've heard good things about the game so I figured I'd give it a shot. I've also got to finish off Wheelman when I get the chance.

And before I go, have you tried the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo? Incredible! I'll have to play this game when it comes out later this month. I can't believe how well the game plays. And the voice acting and graphics are unbelievably good!

Have a good one!

0 comments: