If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

House Cleaning

I did a little house cleaning yesterday in terms of my game collection. Before I was married, I had little money to speak of and far too much time on my hands. Today, the reverse is true. I can afford to buy any game I want but I have to be more selective in what I choose to own due to limitations on my free time.

My PS3 game collection is nice and tidy, containing a mere 5 titles. But my Xbox 360 video game collection comprised 30+ titles. Of these games, I'd played very few. And there are some that I'd never have played given the number of newer and better games constantly hitting the market. Last night, I decided to trade-in a bunch of games at my local Blockbuster Video.

Even though I have the space to store many games, I hate waste. Why keep a title that I might never play when I could simply trade it in? I have a number of great games to play right now (Batman: Arkham Asylum, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Killzone 2, etc.) - so why hang on to games like MLB 2K7 and NBA 2K8? I don't even watch baseball or basketball.

Here's a list of the titles I traded at Blockbuster, along with the trade-in values that I received:

Prototype ($42): Great game, finished it, loved it, and happy to see it go to another gamer looking to take out most of New York in a genocidal rage.

Superman Returns ($10): Very mediocre game. And I lost the manual. And Blockbuster gave me $10 for it! Best deal ever!

Spider-Man 3 ($10): Boring, hard, and crap-tastic. I never really got into Spider-Man 3. Perhaps if the third film in the Spider-Man trilogy had been watchable, I might have found the desire to finish off Spider-Man 3. I can only say that I'm happy that Blockbuster was generous with this title as well.

Rainbow Six Vegas ($10): I suck at tactical shooters. RSV. was a frustrating, difficult game that relied a little too much on planning instead of unadulterated action. While I'll concede that Rainbow Six Vegas is a great game, it just wasn't my thing.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 ($10): I never played this game. But I figured it would be like a slightly improved RSV. Not my cup of tea.

NBA 2K8 ($10): Ten dollars? Really?! Thank you Blockbuster!

Crackdown ($10): Awesome game! This game was so good that I bought it twice. Unfortunately, I re-bought this game when I was under the mistaken impression that I loved collecting agility orbs. I found about 100 of the suckers and gave up. If you haven't played Crackdown, I highly recommend it.

Lost Planet ($10): I tried to get into this game. But it was a little too "old school" for me. I can't explain it. I just didn't like it. Maybe it was because the game's difficulty was way too high for me...? Who knows. Either way, Lost Planet is gone.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent ($10): I just couldn't get into this game. I'm sure it's great once you get into it. I just couldn't see myself spending any real time with this game in the near future. Do you think I should avoid Tom Clancy games in the future?

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter ($10): I bought this game used from EB Games three years ago. I played it once for 15 minutes after getting it home from the store. These Tom Clancy games look really cool but I just don't have the military chops to "get 'er done", I guess.

I also tried to dump Madden 07, MLB 2K7, and NHL 2K7 but Blockbuster didn't want those titles. I don't blame them: no one wants those titles. Sports games have little to no resale value after their first couple months of release.

I think I'm going to dump a few more titles to Blockbuster in the next couple days. Rockstar's Table Tennis and NHL 08 are both good candidates for getting chopped. I haven't really played either game and I'm just not "feeling" sports games right now.

I'm also preparing to trade-in Wheelman as well. It's a solid game and quite fun despite a few frustratingly difficult missions towards the end of the story. I've got one more mission to finish before the game's done. After that, it's off to Blockbuster who, I believe, are offering $38 for Wheelman. I only paid $30 for the game so I'm happy.

All this to say that I'm really ready to play Batman: Arkham Asylum. I decided to pick up my game in-store at Best Buy instead of waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. According to a recent confirmation e-mail, my copy of Batman is reserved waiting to be picked up. Hopefully I'll be able to get out to the store and pick it up tonight.

Have a good one!

0 comments: