If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Monday, August 24, 2009

New York to Gotham...via Barcelona

I finished up Prototype over the weekend. Let me just say that that Prototype ended up being a ton of fun to play despite my earlier misgivings. The one thing that Prototype does really well is giving players the sense of wielding unlimited power. Alex Mercer is a juggernaut trampling over all of New York in his attempts to discover what has happened to New York City and to himself. And trampling New York can be quite enlightening in a perverse way.

It took Prototype a little while to pick-up steam. Prototype's story and characters are just not as engaging as those found in other open-world superhero games such as inFamous or Spider-Man 2. But once Alex is able to skyjack helicopters and use his cool Blade powers, the game really opens up and gets really, really fun despite a limited or throw-away narrative. If you're planning on playing Prototype, I strongly recommend that you hold off on doing any of the side missions until you're well into the game. Trying to tackle all the side-missions before progressing the story slows the game down to a crawl. But once you've got all of Alex's powers unlocked, the side missions are much easier to beat and much more fun. Here's hoping for a Prototype sequel in the next couple of years!

With Prototype finished, I plan on finishing up Wheelman as quickly as possible. Why the rush? I ordered myself a copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum from Best Buy. If you live in Canada, you'll be happy to know that Best Buy, FutureShop, and Wal-mart are offering the game for $38.83 CDN for a limited time. Given that Batman: Arkham Asylum is totally awesome and garnering rave reviews from everyone, I think you'd be foolish to not take advantage of this sweet deal.

I'm including a couple of video reviews, along with the Batman: Arkham Asylum launch trailer and the PS3 Joker Exclusive trailer, below. If you like what you see, you should pick up your copy of the game for your Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or PC. Please note that the Playstation 3 copy comes with exclusive content that allows you to play as the Joker in the game's challenge rooms. 360 owners are not getting anything in the way of exclusive DLC or content at this point in time though a little Commissioner Gordon, Harley Quinn, or Bane could be sweet.

Trailers:







Reviews:




I'm not sure when I'll eventually get my hands of my ordered copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's coming in the mail which can take anywhere from 2-10 business days. But I can tell you that I can't wait for my game to arrive. Batman is my favourite superhero of all time and I can't wait!

0 comments: