If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, September 18, 2009

J-RPG Heaven

Last night was a night made in J-RPG heaven. I jumped on my exercise bike and put in an hour with Final Fantasy XII. After a quick shower and some quality time spent with my wife, I popped Lost Odyssey into my Xbox 360. And you know what? It was wonderful! It felt so great to put aside twitch first-person shooters and third-person action-adventure games in favour of a nice and relaxed role-playing game.

Final Fantasy XII is just like any other Final Fantasy game. I will say that PS2 games don't look quite as good as they used to before HD took over the console-gaming landscape. I'm not blaming the PS2 in any way: it's the greatest console ever made and I love it to death. I just wish there was some way for every game to show up in 480p instead of 480i. All that aside, I'm really enjoying Final Fantasy XII. Right now, I'm playing as 17-year old street orphan Vaan. I've got to get to Giza (or some such place) to find a sun stone (or something along those lines) so that I can sneak into the palace to steal stuff. I tell you: this game has "epic" written all over it! It's gonna be a fun ride.

As for Lost Odyssey, I'm currently in the Old Sorceress' Mansion. I was stuck for a while last night: I couldn't figure how to find the last "plate" that I needed to open a gate. So I spent an hour and a half wandering around the mansion fighting flying books, animated suits of armour, evil-looking shadow creatures, and these nasty Tempters that took great pleasure in absorbing the souls of my party members. You gotta love J-RPGs!

There are still a number of rules and conventions that I'm unfamiliar with in Lost Odyssey. My copy of the game, bought second-hand from Blockbuster, did not come with a game manual. Thankfully, I found a downloadable PDF version of the manual that I'll print off and read later today. One thing that really bothers me is Kaim's (main protagonist) inability to use Skills. I've set the skills yet the Skill option is grayed out when I'm in combat.

I'm really looking forward to sitting down with Lost Odyssey tonight. I have a feeling that a big fight is just around the corner. There is nothing quite as fun (or frustrating) as a long, drawn-out J-RPG boss fight! I'm guessing I'll have to fight the Old Sorceress: that should be fun! I believe I know who the Old Sorceress is and it'll be good once she's defeated and likely joins the party. I'm also looking forward to watching a cutscene at some point this evening: I can't get enough of J-RPG cinematics!

In other news, my copy of Infinite Undiscovery showed up at my door last night. I can't wait to play that game. No one does J-RPGs better than Square Enix.

I also found myself a copy of Odin Sphere for my PS2. I'm usually not a big fan of Atlus RPGs but this game looks a little different. Odin Sphere got great reviews and it looks pretty sharp in the graphics department.

And finally, it seems that I'm going to have a bit of trouble tracking down all the RPGs that I listed in yesterday's post. Some of the titles are pretty rare and hard to come by nowadays. I'm sure that, with a little perseverance and a bit of cash, I'll be able to make all of my old-school RPG wishes come true!

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding assigning skills(ie white/black/spirit magic) to Kaim in LO, it can be done. You just need to learn a skill either from an accessory or via a linked skill from the kids. If an accessory is equipped, you will automatically have access to that ability/skill while learning the skill. You might have it while learning from the others(mortals) but I can't remember I finished the game off around April. Once a skill has been learned just assign it to one of the empty skill slots, starting out I believe they should have 3 but you can gain more by finding the slot seed items scattered about. Hope this helps.

Klopzi said...

I finally figured out what was wrong. I didn't realize that all of the skills that I had assigned for Kaim were all passive skills.

Last night, I assigned both power hit and combo hit to Kaim's skill slots and the Skill option is now available.

Silly mistake on my part. I wasn't thinking, I guess. It had been almost a year since I last played though.

Thanks for the help!