If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Feelin' the Beat

I've started exercising again and trying to be good when deciding what to eat. Unlike other people trying to lose weight, I have no problems saying that I'm dieting as opposed to making a "lifestyle change". To be honest, I'd be extremely depressed if I had to spend my life eating the way I do when losing weight. But I'm not here to talk about food: let's talk games!

It's been a while since I focused on my Pounds for Pixels challenge. I believe the primary reason for falling off the band wagon had to do with my game selection. Don't get me wrong: classic PS2 roleplaying games are terrific. They just don't jibe well with my exercise schedule.

My problem is with the save point system system found in most PS2 roleplaying games. On a few occasions, I'd start playing an RPG and couldn't save my game when I'd finished exercising. The first few times, I continued playing until I was able to save my game. But I soon found myself avoiding exercise because I knew that I'd have to commit at least an hour or two to progress the storyline in the games I was playing.

I've decided to switch my focus (and my wallet) over to another type of game: music/rhythm games. I already have four Guitar Hero games for my PS2 that I've decided to play using my PS2 controller. I was playing Guitar Hero the other night and really enjoyed it. Playing without the guitar peripheral significantly changed the gameplay and made it feel like I was playing a new game.

Of course, I wasn't content simply playing my way through the Guitar Hero games I already owned. I decided to do a search for the PS2's biggest and best rhythm games. I then popped onto eBay and bought three games.

Frequency was is the first game ever released by Harmonix (creators of Guitar Hero) making it an easy buy. I've seen videos of the game and don't really know what to say about it. It looks pretty crazy but earned a solid metacritic score (83%) and pretty decent reputation as a terrific music/rhythm game. Here's a taste of what I'll have in store when the game arrives in 5-10 business days:



The next game I bought was the Harmonix's follow-up to Frequency: Amplitude. Amplitude seems similarly fast-paced and exciting. There appears to be some sort of spaceship in Amplitude that shoots the notes on screen. Amplitude also earned a great metacritic score (86%). Funny that I'd never heard of these games until recently. I was more of a platformer (Sly, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank) and RPG (Final Fantasy) fan back when the PS2 was at its peak. Check out this gameplay footage from Amplitude:



The last game I picked up was PaRappa the Rapper 2. I actually thought I was buying the original Parappa the Rapper but no big deal. I haven't played either Parappa game so I'm assuming that the sequel should suit me just fine despite getting an average metacritic score of 67%. I think the bulk of the complaints against this sequel were due to the game being short and "more of the same" when compared to the first Parappa game. I'm looking forward to seeing this game in action. In the meantime, here's some gameplay footage:



Parappa looks pretty messed up! Can't wait!

Until my games arrive sometime in the next couple weeks, I'll busy myself with Guitar Hero. I'll see if I can beat any songs on Hard mode using only my DualShock 2 controller. It should be an interesting experiment.

Have a good one!

0 comments: