If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

First Impressions: Assassin's Creed II

I've spent the past couple of nights playing Assassin's Creed II. I don't know what I can say about the game that hasn't already been said. It's awesome! What did you expect?

Assassin's Creed II plays a lot like the original Assassin's Creed. I'm not very far into the game having focused on finding the hidden feathers and treasure scattered throughout the game's first two maps. I've decided to take my time with the game and earn the full 1000 achievement points. I've also gone ahead and downloaded both DLC packs: Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities. These two packs contain memory sequences 12 and 13 which are missing in the original retail package.

There's been a bit of a stink about the lack of achievement points (or trophies) for these two new sequences. As a former achievement junkie, I can see players getting upset that they are spending their hard-earned money without getting achievement points or trophies in return. I'm buying this DLC because I want to fully experience Assassin's Creed II and all that it offers. I've even spent the extra MS points to purchase the three secret Templar locations previously available only to the pre-order and collector's edition crowd. When it comes down to it, ask yourself why you play games: fun or bragging rights?

I love the world that Ubisoft created for Assassin's Creed II. Right from the get-go, AC2's story grabs hold of you and pulls you along. The game's graphics and VO work is some of the very best I've ever seen or heard. Gameplay is pretty slick save for the occasional suicidal leaps that Ezio will take from the top of tall buildings. My expectations of how Ezio should behave when I press the jump button while crossing the rooftops are sometimes at odds with what's been coded into the game.

Unintentional falls-to-the-death aside, Assassin's Creed II presents a slick package to gamers. I've started finding and deciphering in-game puzzles leading me closer to "The Truth". Scouring the city for feathers and treasure maps is fun, rewarding, and quite relaxing. Combat is tense and the free-running is insane. And the main storyline is getting more interesting by the second. Assassin's Creed II just looks and feels right. It's a pretty incredible gaming experience!

That's it for now. I've got a number of hours to wait before I get the chance to play any more Assassin's Creed II. In the meantime, I'll see if I can figure out how to access the Secret Templar Locations that I've just finished buying from the Xbox Live Marketplace.

I'll leave you with a couple trailers for Assassin's Creed II's Battle of Forli and Vanity of the Bonfires. Have a good one!

2 comments:

Duncan Heaney said...

Hi,stumbled on your blog while surfing around - I was bored.

You're right about Assassin's Creed II being a terrific experience. But I have my doubts as to the value of the DLC. Bonfire of the Vanities was fun, but Battle of Forli seemed like pretty inconsequential to me.

Of course, I downloaded it after completing the game - you might have a different experience playing it through in order.

Klopzi said...

Duncan,

I've heard that the Battle of Forli comes up a little short compared to the rest of the AC2 experience. I downloaded both DLC packs because I wanted to play the entire game with all the sequences unlocked.

I'll agree that for those who've already finished AC2, there is little point in going back to the game for either of the DLC packs. They were excluded from the retail release and offer very little in terms of story - and no further trophies or achievements either.

I'll have to see how much I enjoy the Battle of Forli sequence when played as part of a seamless end-to-end experience.

Thanks for stopping by!