If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

First Impressions: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

I picked up a copy of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 yesterday. I really enjoyed the first MUA that came out years ago. Looking back, I'm pretty amazed at how much time I sank into that game. And while I guarantee that I won't be spending anywhere near that amount of time playing MUA 2, I am looking forward to spending some time in the Marvel Universe.

There's really not that much to say about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. If you played the first MUA, you're getting the same game...more or less. The look and feel of Ultimate Alliance's sequel somehow feel a little worse than in the original. I'm not a big fan of the camera work in this second game. I'm only a couple hours in and have already had a few instances where the camera has gotten locked in such a way to prevent me from seeing what's happening during a battle.

Graphics and VO seem to be on par with many above-average to good games. The pre-rendered cutscenes look pretty cool. It's always fun to watch a high-def Captain America and Wolverine smash their way through a pile of enemies.

And though I can't shake the feeling that I've played this game before, combat has been fun despite being a fairly repetitive affair. What can I say? I enjoy blowing up bad guys with an arsenal of extraordinary superhuman powers!

The one new addition to MUA 2 is the concept of fusion powers. As your heroes duke it out with nameless henchmen, super villains, or the defenseless destructible environmental props, the ability to launch a fusion power attack is earned. A fusion attack takes the powers of two heroes, combines them, then unleashes the result on the enemy horde. The fusion powers are easy to pull off, fun to watch, and awesomely devastating. Throw in the three possible flavours of fusion powers (Clearing, Guided and Targeted) and it's easy to appreciate the strategical importance of this feature unique to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

I'll be playing through MUA 2 over the next week or so. I won't be worrying about achievements as I play through the game. I'm only playing for fun these days and achievements, while still fun to unlock, are not my primary concern.

Bottom line? Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 seems to be a fun game that borrows heavily from its excellent predecessor. That being said, if you like Marvel superheroes and crazy action, MUA 2 is the game for you. As usual, I'll leave you with a trailer, a couple reviews, and a GiantBomb "quick look" for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.


Have a good one!

0 comments: