If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

First Impressions: Lego Batman

Last year's Batman: Arkham Asylum is probably the best superhero video game ever made. I've always been a fan of most Batman games, Unreal Engine or not. I remember playing some of Batman's earlier adventures on the PS2 - Batman: Vengeance and Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu. These earlier games were both based on the cult-favourite Batman animated series and I thought they were great too! Much like last year's Arkham Asylum, Kevin Conroy played the role of Batman. And good old Mark Hamill voiced The Joker in Batman: Vengeance.

I started playing a different Batman-themed game last night. Not as gritty and dark as the last year's title. Not a throwback to an awesome animated series of the 90s. And definitely no Kevin Conroy or Mark Hamill. This time, it's all about platforming, puzzle solving, and busting my way through countless henchmen as Lego Batman!

There's not much to say about Lego Batman that most of you don't already know. Take Traveller's Tales successful Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones games. Replace lightsabers with batarangs, the Force with a belt, R2-D2 with Robin, and dusty fedora with dark cowl and you'll have a good idea of what to expect. All the humour you've come to expect from a Lego video game is present. And despite the lighthearted approach to the Batman body of work, you can feel that the developers were very careful to show a great deal of respect and reverence for Batman and the DC Universe.

I've completed the first 3 chapters of Lego Batman and look forward to playing a whole lot more Lego Batman tonight. I'm going to try to get the full 1000 achievement points but I may change my mind depending on how long the game runs. Right now, I'd be pretty happy spending 15-20 hours and finding all there is to find in Lego Batman.

As usual, I'll leave you with the Lego Batman launch trailer and a couple of video reviews (GameTrailers and X-Play). Have a good one!

0 comments: