If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Heavy Metal Treasure Hunt [Brutal Legend]

It's no surprise that I continued playing Brutal Legend again last night. I'm really digging the sandbox-style presentation of a Heavy Metal world. Rather than plow through story missions last night, I took a bit of time to enjoy some of the game's other offerings. I took on a ton of secondary missions and spent a bit of time trying to pick up a few achievements. It was a pretty relaxing and enjoyable night!

I think I may go against my initial plan and spend a bit more time with Brutal Legend. I could rush through and try to finish off the story quickly. But Eddie, Lars, Ophelia and the rest of the crew are interesting enough that I'm not sure if I want to rush things. The funny thing is that I'm not a huge heavy metal fan by any stretch of the imagination. I spent some of my early teen years listening to Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Anthrax on occasion - no more or less than your average kid growing up in the 80s.

I took a look at some of the item collection stuff in Brutal Legend. You know, it's not as bad as I thought. I could spend a bit of time unlocking some of the game's secrets, earning achievements and in-game upgrades in the process. There are far worse things to do than drive around a heavy metal landscape on a kick-ass treasure hunt.

Here's a list of of the collectibles in Brutal Legend. Some unlock achievements while others help to upgrade Eddie's combat and magical prowess. But in the end, these collectibles simply serve the purpose of creating that itch that many obsessive gamers (such as myself) can't help but scratch from time to time.

  • Legends (13): Finding all Legends unlocks the Now You Must Tell The Tale achievement (20 GamerPoint).

  • Solos (9): There are only nine solos to find in the game. These solos are quite useful during Stage Battles and over the course of the story and secondary missions. Finding all of the solos also unlocks the Virtuoso achievement (20 GamerPoint).

  • Motorforges (11): Motorforges are a vital part of surviving the Brutal Legend experience. Eddie can visit unearthed Motorforges to purchase upgrades from the Guardian of Metal (a.k.a. Ozzy). And if I can find all eleven Motorforges, the Flowerslave achievement and 20 GamerPoint will be mine!

  • Jumps (24): There are a number of ramps dotting Brutal Legend's landscape. Jump them all and please the Gods of Metal who'll then reward Eddie with fire tributes. Fire tributes can then be spent at any available Motorforges. The jumps also count towards unlocking Brutal Legend's 100% completion achievement (Metal God) worth 50 GamerPoint.

  • Buried Metal (23): Finding the buried "metal" expands the number of tunes playable while cruising in the Deuce. Find all twenty-three buried shrines and you'll earn the Voices From Beyond achievement (20 GamerPoint).

  • Landmarks (32): Want to take a more cinematic look at the key landmarks found in Brutal Legend? Check out the special Landmark locations. There are thirty-two landmarks scattered across the map. Find 'em all and earn yourself the Tourist achievement and 20 GamerPoint.

  • Serpents (120): I didn't even know how to free the bound serpents in Brutal Legend until earlier today. I'd seen them dotting the landscape but thought that these strange monoliths were just for show. Target these ancient statues with a pyro or two and Eddie will be rewarded with many benefits including increased health, flight speed, and regeneration. There are also three incremental achievements unlocked for freeing these ancient statues from Doviculus' grasp: Serpent Samaritan (10 GamerPoint) for freeing forty bound serpents, Serpent Spanker (15 GamerPoint) at 80 bound serpents, and Serpent Savior (120 GamerPoint) for freeing all bound serpents.

If I choose to take on the task of finding all there is to find in Brutal Legend, I won't be doing it alone. I found a great interactive map that displays the locations of everything there is to find in the game. Check out the map right here. That is one impressive map! The embedded videos detailing how to find each of Brutal Legends collectibles is awesome!

I really like the world of Brutal Legend. And truth be told, I'm not too anxious to get into the later stage battles with properly buffing Eddie with every possible upgrade possible. Then again, I know that Metal Gear Solid 4 and Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time are waiting in the wings. Decisions, decisions...

I'll likely focus on the Brutal Legend story missions tonight. But if things get too tough, I may start tracking down some of the various collectibles to help please the Gods of Metal and my gamerscore both.

0 comments: