If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, March 19, 2010

A New Obsession

Looking at me, you'd think I was a normal person. Good job, great family, and a nice house. I have a couple hobbies, poker and video games, that are enjoyed by many men my age. But beneath it all lies an obsessive personality that really complicates things from time to time. I get something in my head and can't seem to let it go. I obsess about many things in life but none more than video games.

Games like Assassin's Creed, The Orange Box, Borderlands, Demon's Souls, and Overlord were all purchased after short bouts of obsessive thinking. Pouring over the reviews, watching trailers, checking retail store prices, and scanning eBay listings would begin to dominate all of my free time until...POW!...I'd run out and buy the object of my obsession. I guess the gratification of buying the game would be the "compulsive" aspect of my mild (yet probably quite real) case of OCD.

And even though I thoroughly enjoyed Modern Warfare 2 last night, there is a game that's been racing around in my head for a little while now. And that game is...

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10!

I know, I know - WTF, right? My only guess is that with poker going poorly and my job becoming increasingly stressful and busy, my mind has started to look for comfort elsewhere. And that "elsewhere" is my last year of university. 1999 was a great year for sports gaming. Graphics and in-game physics were getting better. Online play was starting to pick up despite the lack of high-speed Internet for the average consumer. And the one and only game that I played online was Links LS 1999.

I must have played at least 200-300 hours of the game. I played it whenever I wasn't working on projects or studying. I used to wake up at 3 o'clock in the morning and hop online for a quick round with anyone playing the game. I played for fun and I played to compete with the best players in the world. I was actually ranked in the top 100 players at one point in time before I gave up trying to climb any higher. The problem was that the higher ranked players simply refused to play most up and coming players for fear of losing their highly coveted spots on the leaderboard.

All I know is that I used to love simulated golf and I've got a hankering to give it a shot again. I'm going to watch some video reviews and trailers (see below) and decide how I'd like to proceed. I think I'd be willing to pay around $30 for the PS3 version of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10. Current retail price is $70 in Canada and $45 on eBay. But I may just pop out to Blockbuster or EB Games tonight to see if they can show me a better deal.

I'll leave you with some trailers and reviews of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10. Have a great weekend!

0 comments: