If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Time for a little Modern Warfare 2

I've been having a ton of fun plowing through R&CF: A Crack in Time. But the dynamic and destructive duo will have to be placed in a holding pattern for the next week or so. I just happened to get my hands on a copy of Modern Warfare 2 today with instructions to finish it off ASAP. So I'll be putting everything else on hold in an effort to finish the short (but hopefully sweet) MW2 single-player campaign.

I really liked the "original" Modern Warfare. There were so many mind-blowing missions and set pieces in that game that I came away really impressed. I'm not really a huge fan of standard FPS games. And while I appreciate everything the military does to maintain my quality of life, I've never been really interested in "how" they do what they do.

But Modern Warfare was awesome! I guess the whole Middle Eastern, combat terrorism, Navy Seals-type stuff just works. Tanks and RPGs are boring. Night-vision, flashbangs, and cool gadgets are awesome! And don't even get me started on ghillie suits and sniper rifles.

I'm going to play the Modern Warfare 2 campaign on Veteran difficulty. I've heard that the single-player campaign is short (5-7 hours). It shouldn't be too bad retrying certain portions of the game over and over when things get tough. As long as I can get the game done in the next four or five days, I'll be happy.

And, for what it's worth, I will not be playing the No Russian gameplay sequence. Sounds a little too disturbing and sadistic. That's not to say that I don't respect Infinity Ward's decision to include it in the final game. Not my cup of tea, however.

Despite Modern Warfare 2's focus on multiplayer, I'm still expecting quite a bit from the single player experience. Even after all these years of playing games, I'm quite easily impressed if you give me some solid controls, great graphics, and half-decent voice acting. I'm looking forward to giving the game a try later this evening.

On the achievement side of things, I'm aiming for 38 (out of 50) achievements for a total of 705GamerPoint. I'm going to try for most single-player achievement available in campaign and Special Ops mode.  I'm going to ignore the Pit Boss achievement (run the training course in under 30 seconds) and some of the tougher spec. ops achievements (e.g. any of the 3-star achievements). We'll see if I can stay on target over the weekend.

In the meantime, here's the launch trailer and some video reviews for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Enjoy!

0 comments: