If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Final Fantasy XIII: Giddy Anticipation and Retrospection

My copy of Final Fantasy XIII has still not arrived. I'm told by Canada Post that it should arrive sometime tomorrow. I honestly can't wait to finally sit down with Square Enix's latest epic J-RPG adventure. It doesn't matter that critics can't decide whether to love or hate the game. And I don't care if I have a ton of other games that I could (and should) be playing instead of jumping into a 50+ hour role-playing game.

What can I say? I've got an itch that can only be scratched by a nonsensical J-RPG story line packed full of huge boss fights, ridiculous clothing, improbably large weapons, and cheesy dialogue!

I've watched the Final Fantasy retrospectives over at GameTrailers (and included below). I'm trying to relive some of my past Final Fantasy experiences before tackling the thirteenth installment of the series.

I'll always remember the time I spent with Final Fantasy VII. The game was long, looked great, and had the best cinematics that I'd ever seen in a game. The story was both cheesy and touching. Even though FFVII wasn't my first Final Fantasy experience, it's the one memory of Final Fantasy that's stuck with me all these years.

I also enjoyed Final Fantasy VIII but never finished it. I remember something about a sorceress, some guards, a school, gunblades, and Bahamut. That's about it. And surprisingly enough, I never played Final Fantasy IX. I didn't own the original Playstation and was busy with a number of other PC games at the time. But I hear it's quite good. In fact, some say that it's better than Final Fantasy VII.

In my opinion, Final Fantasy X sets the high watermark of the Final Fantasy series in my mind. (SPOILERS!) I didn't cry when Aeris died in FFVII (I was a fan of Tifa myself) but I did feel a slight pull on my heart-strings when Tidus high-fives his father in the final cutscene of FFX (END SPOILERS!). That is the moment when Final Fantasy stopped being just some crazy J-RPG series and became something more.

Final Fantasy X-2 didn't really live up to Final Fantasy X.  It seemed a little too "girly" or something.  While there were some good themes running throughout the game, I believe more could have been done with the game.  I also plan on getting to Final Fantasy XII sometime this year or next.  I can't believe I've put it off this long.  For a self-proclaimed fan of the Final Fantasy series, I've certainly skipped my fair share of games.

I'm not sure how Final Fantasy XIII will compare to the rest of the series. I have high hopes but I'm trying to be realistic. I have a family now and it should take a lot more than helping a group of androgynous teenagers  save the world to evoke any real emotion on my part.

I'm willing to settle for a simple jaw-dropping amazement at Final Fantasy XIII's graphics!


For those of you looking to catch up on your Final Fantasy lore, check out these video retrospectives! I've only included the retrospectives for Final Fantasy VII - XII. You can check out all of the Final Fantasy video retrospectives at GameTrailers!

0 comments: