If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

First Impressions: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10

I got off the bus last night and stopped to pick up the mail. I was not expecting anything to be waiting for me in the mailbox besides the usual bills and junk mail. When I reached in, I felt a good-sized package stuffed into the back of the box. I took out the package and took a look: first-class USPS air mail from Florida...? Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10!!!

I ripped open the package right then and there. I pulled out my factory sealed copy of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 and smiled. Time for a little golf!

I didn't actually play much golf until about 1:15 am. My wife and I watched a movie last night. After the movie, I spent a couple hours updating my PS3 firmware, uploading pictures of my face to the EA Sports server, and creating my "Game Face". I normally don't bother with stuff like that but I figured I'd give it a shot. For what it's worth, my EA Sports online game face is recognizable as "me" though it's far from perfect. I also created my custom golfer and game face in Tiger Woods 10. That didn't turn out quite as well as my online avatar but it'll work. Custom-created avatars in sports games are usually ugly or creepy-looking and mine is no exception.

I played some golf for about 45 minutes after getting everything set-up. My created golfer is pretty crap right now. My drives, chipping, and putting are all pretty poor. I've got a lot of work ahead of me if I want to get my golfer up to scratch and able to compete in any online events.

After spending some time missing shots and playing terribly, I realized that I didn't completely understand how the aiming worked in Tiger Woods 10. I was assuming that the "aiming circle" allowed me to set my distance and direction. Once I'd set my target, I thought I could do a full swing and land my ball within the targeted area. Well, I was wrong.

It appears that Tiger Woods 10 has fairly deep swing mechanics and shot physics. Of course, the game's realism takes a bit of hit once a custom golfer's clubs and stats are maxed out. But there is a lot of skill and practice necessary to get to the point where every hole can be birdied or better. Perhaps in future releases, EA will create a more sim-like product for those of us used to playing games like Links LS. That would be sweet!

I found a couple of great links that should get me started down the path to golf greatness. Take a look if your interested in getting a taste for what Tiger Woods 10 has to offer the serious golf fanatic.

My plans for the weekend are quite simple: play a ton of Tiger Woods 10. There is a LOT to do in this game and I'm anxious to get started. First, I'd like to create a new custom golfer. I'll focus on clearing the course challenges, working on my game, and spending a bit of time at the practice range to get an idea of the tools I have at my disposal. And maybe I'll play an online tournament or match if I feel like getting crushed but one of the more experienced players out there.

It's going to be a great weekend filled with family, chocolate, and games! Have a good one!

0 comments: