If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Golf and Chocolate: What a Weekend!

I had a weekend that was spent relaxing, punctuated by a few bouts being incredibly busy. Easter is a great time of year for kids. My boys loved the chocolate but had a few problems understanding the concept of moderation. I guess that's part of being a kid: eat as much candy as you can without getting caught and without getting sick. Both of my kids ticked off both of these achievements over the weekend and a had a great time doing it!

As for me, I spent the bulk of my free time playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10.

I'm very worried at how addictive I've found video game golf. Tiger Woods 10 has a lot of in-game achievements, stats, and a whole slew of challenges that I'd like to finish before putting the game down. There are also daily and weekly Live Tournaments that can be played and, if I can play well enough, won for some needed in-game cash.

I've probably clocked around 15 hours with the game and I'm nowhere - and I mean nowhere - near finished. I've cleared about 20 of the 64 Tournament Challenges in the game. I've won 5 or 6 trophy balls. But there is still so much left to do. For the obsessive-compulsive gamer, Tiger Woods 10 is an endless source of frustration and pleasure. I may end up spending 200 hours with this game in an irrational quest to finish all that the game serves up.

The biggest problem I have is that everything is tracked. Every shot, every round, every trophy, every award, every match. Everything! Stats are shown in the game and on the EA Sports web site. There are online and offline challenges. There are items to unlock and purchase. There is an option to fine tune my clubs to best match my swing style. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 is absolutely insane!

My plans for tonight are to attempt to unlock a couple more trophies:

  1. Big Tuna: Play an 18-hole Traditional or Online game mode round in FIR and GIR using only tuned clubs.
    I'm going to try and clear this trophy without resorting to creating a custom course composed of only St. Andrew's 9th hole. Of course, I may take the easy way out if things don't go my way.

  2. Bare Minimum: Play a round under Par in a Traditional or Online game mode with a Driver, SW, 5 Iron and Putter.
    I should be able to do this without resorting to playing a St. Andrew's 9th hole custom course. I'm able to drive at least 300 yards quite consistently with my created golfer. And by opening and closing my club face, I should be able to get close to the pin on most shots with my five iron. I'll set the wind conditions to "calm" to keep things as easy as possible.

The only thing that I refuse to do is to unlock any of the achievements by playing as "Tiger" himself. I really think the Tiger brand name has been hopelessly destroyed by the recent scandal. Every time Tiger pops up on the screen, I can't help but wonder what he was doing in between his rounds of champion-caliber golf. I'll leave jokes about hitting the back nine or sinking shots at the 19th hole to your imaginations.

In any case, it's going to be "all golf, all the time" around here until I get this out of my system. And then it'll be time to starting firing shots into the bush in Just Cause 2. Wait - was that another shot at Tiger there? Who cares - I'm off to play some more golf.

0 comments: