If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sneezing, Coughing, Laughing...

You'll have to excuse the short post today. I've come down with a nasty cold and can't seem to think straight. I just wanted to give a quick update on what I played over the weekend.

The bulk of my playing time was spent with Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. It's actually a much better game that I'd anticipated. The biggest improvement over previous MGS games is, in my opinion, Snake's ability to "run n' gun" through levels when stealth fails. This works out well for me because I stink at stealth in MGS4. I tend to get spotted whenever I try to sneak up on unsuspecting enemies. And the touted CQC system (close quarters combat) just kills me. I've only been able to master the quick knockout throw. It's a good move but I'm trying hard to expand my CQC repertoire. It'd be nice to grab an enemy and use him as a human shield. Or grappling an enemy and slitting his throat with a knife would definitely help with ammo conservation.

Close quarters combat aside, MGS4 is slick. The cutscenes are very well directed with quality voice-acting despite the sometimes corny, sometimes overly-dramatic script. I do find it a little distracting and shameful when the camera pans to any female character's cleavage and keeps the camera focused solely on that body part. I just finished a big fight with Laughing Octopus (a.k.a. Laughing Beauty). In one cutscene, the camera focuses solely on her breasts, crotch,and butt for a full minute before showing her face. And then she vomited giving the camera a prolonged shot of her ass again. Seems a little juvenile but the cutscene was interesting regardless.

I really like the scope and depth of Metal Gear Solid 4's story. There is a lot of information coming across in the cutscenes. I find that it makes the story and characters feel more real and believable. I'm looking forward to sitting back down with MGS4 this evening and continuing the adventure. For those who've played the game, I'm now attempting to reach a helicopter with Naomi. Oh - and I just finished watching an awesome cutscene featuring Raiden squaring off against a whole squad of Gekkos. Pretty impressive.

I also played a bunch of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 over the weekend. I played in a few tournaments and managed a to take 6th place one of the Tier 2 daily tournaments. I'm about 10% of the way towards earning the Big Money trophy awarded for winning 5 million dollars in live tournaments. I'm earning about $85,000 per live tournament played. Ten tournaments down, fifty more to go.

I've also managed to complete all but six challenges in TW10's Tournament Challenge mode. My game's coming along nicely. I'll never shoot -36 on 18 holes of golf but I should be able to average -14 if I keep playing regularly. My biggest weakness is my inexplicable desire to hit my tee shots out of bounds once or twice during each round of golf I play. I also have a complete inability to sink a tee shot on a Par 4 hole. It's going to take me a long time to earn the Aces High trophy, awarded for "acing" a Par 4 or Par 5 hole, at this rate.

My plans for tonight - and much of the next week or two - are to play a whole lot of Metal Gear Solid 4 with a sprinkling of Tiger Woods 10's live daily tiered tournaments.

Have a good one!

0 comments: