If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Broken Promises, Unhappy Wallet

Despite the fact that I've vowed to not purchase any new games until I've cleared out some of my gaming library, I've been known to break the rules from time to time. According to my updated "A Year in Gaming: 2010 Edition" post, I have a list of 10 more games that I want to finish this year. There are a couple new purchases included in that playlist, along with some other titles that I might pick up this year.

I think my most anticipated purchase of 2010 may end up being a XBLA/PSN title called DeathSpank. It's a hack n' slash RPG combining humour and great dungeon-crawler gameplay. In fact, DeathSpank has been described as a mix of Monkey Island and Diablo! I don't know about you but this could be the greatest game ever made! I would like to wait for the reviews before committing to anything though. It's hard to make a funny game that also plays well. Brutal Legend pulled it off and I think Ron Gilbert has both the comedic and gaming chops to do the same with DeathSpank. I'm really hoping to pick this game up off of the PSN later this year.


One title that I've ignored thus far is Mass Effect 2. I've heard so many great things about this game that I'd be foolish to cast it aside. Due to EA's constant DLC and bonuses for purchasing new retail copies of the game, I'm waiting for a retail price of $39.99 (in Canada) before adding Mass Effect to my gaming library. I'd gladly spend the full $70 right now if it wasn't for the extra $30-$40 that I'll spend in DLC.


The Secret of Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge is also being released on XBLA and PSN this summer! I'll gladly break my "no more buying" rule for another dose of Guybrush Threepwood. I can't remember: is LeChuck's Revenge the one with the spitting contest? That little puzzle drove me insane back in the day before online hints and walkthroughs were available.

Alpha Protocol is one of those strange Sega RPGs that will either be really cool or extremely mediocre. I know that Sega can put out good RPGs (e.g. Valkyria Chronicles). If Alpha Protocol can create enough of a stir, I wouldn't mind dabbling in a little spy RPG action later this year.


I'm also a little interested in Fallout: New Vegas. I hate the fact that a new developer (Obsidian) is tackling this next chapter in the Fallout series. I'm also a little leery of this title because it will be using the Fallout 3 graphics engine. My fingers are crossed that this title will live up to expectations and find its way into my gaming library.


Finally, Dead Rising 2 is another title that I've kept in my peripheral vision since it was first announced. The first Dead Rising was an incredible game despite some control and game design flaws. If Dead Rising 2 can deliver the thrills and spills AND allow for a better game save mechanism, I can certainly see myself playing this game come Christmas. Nothing screams the holidays like plowing through hordes of zombies in the infested gambling mecca of Fortune City.


I don't know how many games I can finish before the end of the year. If I pick up any of these titles, I may have to put off finishing some of the longer games on my 2010 play list such as The Last Remnant and possibly Infinite Undiscovery. My gaming library won't be shrinking any time soon given all the great games coming out in 2010!

0 comments: