If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Fantasizing

It's been a little stretch since my last post. Honestly, there's not much to say. I'm twenty-seven hours into Final Fantasy XIII. I finally have a full cast of characters at my disposal. My last game save has me very close to an epic boss fight to close off Chapter 9 of the game. At least, I'm assuming that a big fight is coming based on the dialogue and story thus far.

Besides playing a ton of Final Fantasy XIII, I've started looking at the PSP Go. I'd like a portable media player that can replace my current 80 GB Zune. I like my Zune but have had some issues lately with video and podcasts skipping and stuttering a little too much. The problem is likely due to my outdated Zune software but that's just the tip of the iceberg. The Microsoft Zune is no longer sold in Canada. All of the cool features, much like the extras included in recent Xbox 360 updates, are not available in Canada.

And that's where the PSP Go comes in. It's small enough to fit in my pocket. It comes with 16 GB of internal memory which is enough to hold a bunch of games and podcasts. It's digital-only take on gaming, while more costly in the long run, is still a solid nod in the direction of true portability and ease-of-use.

I plan on getting a PSP Go sometime in the future. I do have a few reasons for holding off right now though:

  1. E3 is just around the corner and Sony is rumoured to have some PSP news. We could see a price drop for the PSP Go given its poor sales numbers.

  2. The announcement of a updated PSP Go or the PSP2 could have a great deal of impact of my spending plans.

  3. I'd also like to see if any changes are made to the PSN Store prices to better reward PSP Go users. Discounted games would be a great incentive to leave UMDs and the used game market behind. A $10 discount on titles $29.99 and above and $2-$5 discounts on bargain titles would go a long way to convincing me to buy the PSP Go today! Seriously. I would go to Best Buy's site right now and buy one given news of reasonable PSP Go game discounts.

  4. I'm also waiting to see if there will be more developer support for a UMD-less future. It's not that I want to buy a full-size PSP but I'd hate to get the PSP Go when all the best releases are going UMD-only.

When I finally pick up a new PSP, there are a number of games that I'd love to buy. First and foremost, Final Fantasy VII - IX are a must buy. I'd also like to try Jeanne D'Arc and Valkyria Chronicles 2. And, of course, I can't forget the quirky Japanese-style games like Locoroco and Patapon. And let's not forget some of the neat rhythm games and puzzle games. I found myself browsing the PSN Store early this morning. There were a ton of games that I wanted to try and likely buy. I really think the PSP Go is a great multi-purpose device capable of games, music, and videos for daily commuters such as myself.

So the ball's in your court Sony. Impress me by the end of E3 and you'll have yourself a faithful customer. A customer with a compulsive spending habit and deep pockets...

0 comments: