If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Gaming Hobby or Shopping Addiction?

What's wrong with me?! I wasn't going to buy any more games this year. I was going to finish the games I had before adding any new titles to my gaming library. And then Friday happened. I decided that I'd buy and play Mass Effect 2 in the next few months. Things just derailed from there...

After deciding that Mass Effect 2 was a game that I had to experience, I remembered that I'd inadvertently deleted my original Mass Effect saved games. Without a saved game file from ME1, I couldn't import any characters into ME2? What was I to do? I decided to buy a brand new copy of Mass Effect (Platinum Hits Edition) and relive the adventures of Shepard and crew. I also purchased the Pinnacle Station DLC for Mass Effect since Bring Down The Sky is included on the Platinum Hits bonus disc. I was going to try for 100% completion in Mass Effect but I'll likely settle for near-completion. I'll have more on the specifics of my plans with Mass Effect once the game arrives and I've started playing.

My "illness" doesn't end with a impulse purchase of Mass Effect. Things took a bizarre turn for the worse late Friday night. I had a bunch of unused points on Goozex (a game trading service) when an attempted trade for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 fell through. Since I was already in a spending mood, I decided to use these points to order copies of Far Cry 2 and Red Faction: Guerrilla. That's right: I went ahead and bought two huge open-world games that I'd already played and cast aside.

In my defense, both Far Cry 2 and Red Faction: Guerrilla are good games. Of course, FC2 is pretty annoying in its game design (infrequent save points, no fast travel, annoying guard posts and roving enemy patrols) and Red Faction: Guerrilla was a little repetitive (go to location X, bust everything up, evade capture). But I still think they're valid games worth trying again.

I'll leave you with trailers for Mass Effect, Far Cry 2, and Red Faction: Guerrilla. Also feel free to check out my Year in Gaming: 2010 Edition post: it's been updated to reflect this most recent bout of gaming insanity. As for me, I'm off to see if I can get some help for my compulsive shopping addiction.

0 comments: