If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Father's Day Weekend!

So it looks like I'm not the only one expressing concerns about the effects of 3D images on children. I never thought that Nintendo would bring up the issue but I'm glad that they're being honest. The fact that 3D games and movies shouldn't be viewed by children under the age of seven really makes me question the tech industries latest push for 3D media.

And if you don't have kids, you should also know that 3D media should not be viewed for extended periods of time.  More importantly, users are advised to avoid alcohol completely while watching any 3D games, movies, or broadcasts of any nature. No booze? I'm out!
Speaking of drinks, it's almost Father's Day! I have kids which means that I'm eligible to take part in this joyous celebration of fatherhood. What does this mean for me? Drinks, great food, and lots of game time! It's going to be a great weekend!

I finished off Mass Effect's Pinnacle Station DLC last night. Pinnacle Station proved quite useful in acquiring many of Mass Effect's weapon and talent achievements. But on the whole, this piece of DLC was quite uninspired. There are a total of four different combat modes and three different settings for a total of twelve combat scenarios. Finish first on the leaderboard for all scenarios and a special five minute survival mission is made available.

I had no problems finishing Pinnacle Station on Casual difficulty with my level 59 Adept. But I wouldn't want to try any of these missions on anything harder than Normal difficulty. It would be extremely challenging with very little upside in terms of story or fun. Shooting wave after wave of robots and pirates in stale environments is not fun. An RPG without story is basically a poorly implemented first-person or third-person shooter. No thanks.

I've got one last playthrough of Mass Effect to complete before I start Mass Effect 2. I'll start my Insanity difficulty playthrough soon.

But before I jump back onto the Shepard train, I'm going to be spending a bunch of time playing Tales of Monkey Island! I've been looking forward to playing this Telltale Games gem for quite a while now. I'd totally given up on Tales ever coming to XBLA or PSN. I was flabbergasted and totally pumped to hear that Tales was being released to PSN earlier this week. I don't know how this release snuck up on me but I wasn't complaining when I opened my virtual wallet and bought the Tales of Monkey Island for a scant $20. This is going to be a great weekend! I can't wait to jump into Guybrush Threepwood's latest five-part adventure. Awesome, awesome, awesome!

I'll be back next week with my first impressions of Tales of Monkey Island (PSN) and Final Fantasy IX (PSP)!

Have a great weekend!

0 comments: