If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Mass Effect 100% Completion; Mass Effect 2 First Impressions

I finally finished Mass Effect over the weekend. It was a long journey but, in the end, I was a little sad to put the game away. I spent a lot of time saving the known universe from Saren. Of course, my mourning was short-lived since I've already started playing Mass Effect 2. And wow - what a game!

In the end, I spent roughly 90 hours playing the original Mass Effect. I can breakdown my time with the game as follows:

  • Normal Playthrough: Level 1 Adept with Ashley and Tali [34 hours]
  • Pinnacle Station, Weapon/Talent Achievements: Engineer lvl. 1, Casual Difficulty [10 hours]
  • Hardcore Playthrough: Level 49 Adept with Kaiden and Wrex [30 hours]
  • Insanity Playthrough: Level 59 Adept with Garrus and Liara [16 hours]

I was surprised at how quickly I beat the Insanity difficulty. I kept waiting to hitting the proverbial brick wall but it never happened. Despite the shortcomings of Adepts at earlier character levels, a level 60 Adept is a force to be reckoned with. The Singularity and Lift biotic powers were especially devastating, enabling me to clear out entire rooms of enemies without ever placing my crew in the line of fire. Warp helped to deal with enemies relying on Immunity to keep themselves alive. And Throw proved to be useful when I needed to create a little breathing room for my squad (particulary useful in the Bring Down The Sky DLC).

I successfully imported my Level 60 Adept into Mass Effect 2. My new Shepard was instantly bumped to Level 5 and given a pile of credits to spend. I've decided to go against popular opinion and will continue to play as an Adept. I've heard that the Sentinel or Infiltrator classes are much better suited to the enemies and situations in ME2. But I like playing as an Adept. And while I've found that biotics are handicapped in ME2, Singularity and Pull (a.k.a. Lift) are still pretty devastating. Warp is also very important due to my enemies being a little more heavily armoured. In any case, I think I'll have a good time playing as an Adept as long as I'm able to strike a good balance with my squad. After Mass Effect's Insanity difficulty, I think I'm ready for anything Mass Effect 2 wants to throw my way.

Before I go, I just wanted to give my first impressions of Mass Effect 2. I think I can sum up my experience thus far in one word: Wow! Mass Effect 2 is graphically impressive with a few minor glitches here and there. Compared to the original Mass Effect, ME2 is the damned Mona Lisa!

In terms of story and atmosphere, I'm really impressed. The game starts off with a real bang and will keep you glued to your screen for a few hours at the very least. I've already played through the early stages of the game a couple of times and love it.

But I will give a quick warning to any parents looking to pick this game up for their kids: Mass Effect 2 is a mature title. There is quite a bit of swearing (the term "shit" is used every couple of minutes), a number of ultra-violent situations (point-blank assassinations), and some skin-tight outfits that would make Lady Gaga blush.

I've decided to take the Renegade route in my first playthrough. I'm only eight hours into the game and Shepard's already managed to punch an unarmed woman in the face. I was a little stunned by his actions. I don't condone violence against women (or men, for that matter) and it was shocking to see Shepard sucker punch the female reporter looking for a quick interview. I guess it was my own fault for pulling the Right Trigger to perform a Renegade action interrupt. I have a feeling that some of Shepard's renegade actions are going to leave me feeling pretty uncomfortable at times...but supremely awesome in certain situations. It will be nice to finish a second playthrough as a Paragon and right all of Shepard's wrongs.

I'll be back in a couple days to discuss more Mass Effect 2. I'm going to be playing a lot of this game over the next month. I love it!

2 comments:

Mason Holt said...

I have been playing the main soldier class so I can use all the guns because I never really cared about the powers. I also ONLY used Grunt and Garrus the entire game. With my amazing gunning, Garrus's medium mechanical ablilties, and Grunt's biotic abilities ballanced my team perfectly. I completed the game on the Paragon path and saved my entire crew. I think this was an amazing game.

Klopzi said...

@Mason -

I've heard good things about Mass Effect 2. I'm enjoying so far but am a long ways from finishing it.

Thanks for stopping by!