If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Drugstore Cowboy

It's almost the weekend and that means it's time to recap my week in gaming! And, to be honest, it's been a really good week on the video game front.

The bulk of my playing time this past week was focused on Red Dead Redemption. I am really digging Rockstar's latest foray into the Wild West. I find that John Marston, the game's protagonist, represents everything I need in a video game hero. He's tough and ruthless but follows a strict moral code. He's very polite and kind to strangers yet quite capable of unleashing death and destruction for those who stand in his way.

Red Dead's story has been pretty awesome. The cutscenes and voice acting are superb. I don't think I've seen a game with higher production values. I'd say that Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2 are pretty comparable in terms of sheer production values.

In my current playthrough of Red Dead Redemption, I find myself in Mexico. I've tried to focus primarily on the game's main storyline but I find myself straying quite a bit. I spent all the bulk of my gaming session last night simply hunting for flowers to pick and wild animals to gun down. I must have skinned 15 wolves and collected upwards of 20 plants before I turned off my 360. It's strangely relaxing to scour the vast landscape for collectibles. Of course, the occasional encounter with persons in distress, vicious cougars, and hungry cannibals make the experience pretty unique and unforgettable.

I'll be playing a ton of RDR this weekend. I've got a bunch of missions to get through and some cougars to take on in a knife fight. It should be interesting.

On the Sony PSP front, I picked up Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. The game was on sale for $15 via digital download off the Playstation Network and I figured I'd give the game a try. It's a pretty good game. I like the cartoony feel to the game and the top-down perspective (as used in the pre-GTA3 games). I spent my ride to work this morning executing a couple virtual drug transactions that proved too lucrative to pass up. While I do fear for the digital children of Liberty City, I'm just looking forward to spending more time with Chinatown Wars during my daily commute.

That's it for this week! I'll leave you with a trailer for GTA: Chinatown Wars (it's a DS trailer but it works). Have a great weekend!

0 comments: