If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Ghosts, Zombies, Minions, and Treasure Hunting

Work and life have been pretty hectic leaving me too exhausted to do much of anything. But I somehow managed to put in a bit of time with both Overlord and Monkey Island 2 over the past couple nights. I'm not getting anywhere fast with either game. Then again, it's supposed to be all about the journey and not just a race to the finish line.

Overlord has been a bit of a hit or miss game with me. I like the game's concept. I like the humour. But I'm not a big fan of the iffy control scheme and gameplay - especially when things get hectic. I can't seem to help but lose all of my minions over and over. It's not even boss fights that are killing me. The simple random fights that pop up are really kicking my ass. My biggest problem is that I lose control of my minions and the game's camera at the most inopportune times. And then I die...

I'm not giving up on Overlord. I'm going to try and see it through to the end. A friend tells me that the game is enjoyable and will grow on me if I give it the chance. I just hope that I get better at controlling my minions. Those pesky beetles and mini-archers will get their comeuppance soon, I hope.

I've also finished off Part 1 of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. I've played this game before, albeit years ago, and I don't remember it being so damned tough. Maybe I'm tired or maybe I've lost too many brain cells over the years. Whatever the reason, LeChuck's Revenge has given me a real mental spanking. I played the game for an hour last night and must have consulted an online walkthrough six times! The solutions to the problems all make a lot of sense in hindsight. Unfortunately, I was nowhere near figuring any of the game's devious little puzzles myself.

I think my problem is that Tales of Monkey Island did a much better job of alluding to the proper solutions. It's much easier to figure out a problem when being gently prodded in the right direction. LeChuck's Revenge, on the other hand, seems to place a large number of possible solutions at your fingertips. Of course, only one solution truly makes sense but it can be hard to see the forest for the trees. Monkey Island 2 is a great game - I'm just worried that I'll break my brain while playing it.

My weekend will be spent with my family and my gaming consoles. Have a great weekend!

0 comments: