If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Limbo Done, Alpha Protocol Started, and More Games On The Way

I've had a busy couple of weeks. And when things get busy, I tend to post far less on this site. It's either that or spend less time playing games. I think you'll agree I'm making the better choice by continuing to play as much as I can. I've got a lot to discuss so let's get to it.

I finished Limbo last week. It only took me a couple of nights (~4 hours) to pick up 190GamerPoint (of a possible 200GamerPoint) in the game. Despite lacking the length of some other $15 titles, Limbo delivers quality at every turn. The game's atmosphere and puzzles are incredible. If you enjoy video games, you have to play Limbo. And unlike Braid, you won't need to refer to an online walkthrough every few seconds to cheat your way through a puzzle. I was able to make it from start to finish with only a few hints towards the very end of the game.



I started playing Alpha Protocol over the weekend. It's not the greatest game I've ever played but it does entertain. The voice acting is solid and the story hasn't been crap. Alpha Protocol's weakest points are its graphics (texture pop-in, tearing, glitching) and its firefight gameplay. Sneaking and stealth assassinations work quite well but everything falls apart when an alarm sounds. Taking out multiple enemies seems so clunky and imprecise. I guess that's the difference between straight-up action vs. action-rpg.

After having finished off about half of the game, my biggest concern is with the boss fights. I've been playing the game as a stealth-oriented character. I've heavily favoured silent close quarter combat takedowns and silenced critical pistol shots to the head to make my way through the game's varied locations. But when it comes time for a boss fight, I find that my character build leaves me quite underpowered and unable to put up much of a fight during boss fights. In my latest fight against a seasoned veteran mercenary, I had to rely on a possible glitch (enemies stopped rushing my location giving me ample time to pull of a five-minute stretch of headshots) to survive. It was an awful experience and one that fills me with dread when I consider what is to come.

All in all, I like Alpha Protocol. Despite its few problems, the good far outweighs the bad. Michael Thorton kicks a lot of ass. Playing as an overpowered secret agent definitely appeals to my inner James Bond.




I've been doing a lot of shopping recently. Or, at the very least, a lot of window shopping on eBay. Due to my bloated gaming library, I've decided to limit myself to spending no more than $15 on a single game on eBay. That may sound easy but I'm counting tax and shipping and handling as part of that $15 maximum.

My latest purchase to meet that requirement is a mint-condition PS3 copy of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. After selling my Sith Edition copy of the game, I really wanted to play Force Unleashed again. I figured that the PS3 copy was worth a litle bit of money ($13) since I played the Xbox 360 version of the game a couple of years ago. I will also pick up the Hoth DLC off of the PSN. I like the idea of taking on Luke Skywalker in a lightsaber battle.




I'm not sure what I'll be playing after Alpha Protocol. I was planning to start Alan Wake but I'm still emotionally shaky after my terrifying adventures with Dead Space. Maybe a little Killzone 2 and Dark Void? Or maybe some Civilization Revolution? Or maybe I'll get lucky and win another game off eBay that peaks my immediate interest? I'm currently looking for ultra-cheap copies of:

  • Singularity: Who doesn't like to reverse time or age enemies until they turn to dust?

  • Left 4 Dead: I'm not a big fan of "online" games. But I do like shooting zombies! And there is an offline mode that should be well worth my $15 or less.

  • Left 4 Dead 2: Cajun zombies and nightmarish zombie clowns?! I'm in!

  • Army of Two: The 40th Day: I haven't played the first Army of Two yet but this one's got Nolan North!

  • Call of Duty: World at War: While I'm a little worried about leaving the Modern Warfare age to head back to WW II, the addition of Jack Bauer makes this pill a little easier to swallow.

  • X-Men Origins: Wolverine: I love Wolverine and the guys at Raven Software know how to make a good superhero game. I played the demo and thought it was cool to see chunks of Wolverine body fly off when he got injured. I'm looking forward to playing this game if I can snag it at a heavily discounted price.
  • Spider-man: Web of Shadows: There aren't many superhero games not worth at least $15. I've heard that this latest Spider-man offering is actually pretty good.

  • Demon's Souls: I'm a sucker for punishment. There's no other reason that I would actively seek out this game again.

  • 3D Dot Game Heroes: I like the concept behind this game. Whether or not the game holds up upon closer inspection remains to be seen. But I'm willing to give it a try for $15.


And that's it for today. Have a good one!

2 comments:

anotherdae said...

Wolverine: Origins is great. Thinking about doing a second play through myself.

Demon's Souls... well check out my recent review:
http://gamedae.blogspot.com/2010/10/demons-souls.html

Klopzi said...

@anotherdae -

Your Demon's Souls review just reminded me of why I gave up on the game. I'd still like to give the game another try for $15. But I'll be making heavy use of walkthroughs for my next go at this game. There are ways to make things a little easier...I think.