If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

So Very Dark...

Since my last post, I've been pretty busy on the gaming front. I'm still playing a ton of games. And I'm still adding discounted games to my ever-growing gaming library. I'm not sure when I'll finally have enough games to just sit back and relax. Possibly never. It's just so much fun to fire up eBay and scour the globe for great deals.

Before I discuss my new acquisitions, I should point out that I finished Alan Wake. Well - I finished the first six episodes of the game. I plan on tackling both pieces of DLC, The Signal and The Writer, in the near future. For now, I'm just enjoying playing some new games that don't involve possessed lumberjacks and creepy forests at night.

Immediately upon finishing Alan Wake, I jumped right into Borderlands. I really felt like shooting some mutant coyotes and maniacs and Borderlands delivered. In fact, I was able to pick up my first-ever Platinum trophy after a scant ten hours of Borderlands over the weekend. All told, I'm sure I sunk in excess of 50-60 hours playing Borderlands. I've enjoyed every minute. I've enjoyed Borderlands on my PS3 so much that I decided to buy Borderlands for my Xbox 360, along with three out of four DLC packs. I'm looking forward to playing a bunch of Borderlands down the road.

With Borderlands finished (for now), I decided to give Splinter Cell Conviction a try. I guess Alan Wake has taught me to love the dark.

I've never been a huge fan of the Splinter Cell games due to their trial-and-error stealth mechanic. Sneaking around is fun but the game has to give players options and different routes for completing objectives. Splinter Cell Conviction does just that! It's a pretty solid game that has really surprised me with it's rock-solid gameplay and excellent stealth gameplay. I also like the fact that the game's single-player campaign is on the short side. I think I'm very close to being finished and I've only spent about 10-12 hours with the single-player campaign and some of the deniable ops missions.

I'm sure I've missed out on a good chunk of the experience by focusing on the offline game modes but that's just the way I play. So far, Splinter Cell Conviction is exceeding my expectations in all regards...especially when interrogating enemies. There's something quite satisfying about kicking someone full force between the legs prior to smashing their head through a urinal.

In addition to playing games, I mentioned that I've purchased some more games since my last post. I was able to pick up some pretty good titles for some heavily discounted prices!

X-Men Origins: Wolverine ($15): It's quite rare to find a factory-sealed copy of X-Men Origins: Wolverine on eBay for less than $25-$30. I'm not sure how I did it but I got my hands on Wolverine for an excellent $15. I played the demo for this game a while ago and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to slicing and dicing my way through waves of enemies. It's rare to see a game developer create a Wolverine character that actually uses his claws to chop up bad guys. Raven Software went for it with X-Men Origins and presented Wolverine as a violent and rage-fueled protagonist. Awesome!


Spider-man: Web of Shadows ($15): I've been waiting to play Web of Shadows for a long time. A friend lent me his copy a while back but I was too invested in poker at the time to play it. I've heard great things about Web of Shadows and can't wait to dive into this title soon.


Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands ($12): This latest offering in the Prince of Persia series is an unfortunate "return to roots" for the Prince. I really, really enjoyed the last Prince of Persia for its outstanding visuals, top-notch voice-acting, and dumbed-down gameplay. I have low expectations for The Forgotten Sands. But I feel that I'll easily get my money's worth for a scant $12 investment.


Avatar ($12): Purchased as part of a package with Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. I'm not expecting much from Avatar. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some easy achievement points before dumping this game.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm pretty sad that I don't have a copy of Alan Wake to play on Halloween-my funds became weaker as the holiday grew nearer. That would have been a great spooky way to spend the day.

What did you think of the soundtrack? I thought it was one of the best aspects of the game.

Klopzi said...

Jessica -

Unfortunately, my copy of Alan Wake is not available to me either for Halloween either. I'd be too chicken to play anyway.

I also didn't pay too much attention to the soundtrack in Alan Wake either. I found that the story, gameplay, and music all fit together perfectly so that nothing stood out from anything else. Definitely a much better game than I thought it would be.

Have a happy Halloween!