If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, November 26, 2010

Brotherhood, Borderlands, DLC, and Black Friday

I haven't made much progress in terms of games finished this week. I've spent a little too much time playing Borderlands and trying to survive in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood sprawling city of Rome. Of course, none of this has stopped me from adding to my game collection on Black Friday...

Black Friday is a much, much bigger deal in the States than it is in Canada. In fact, this is the first year that I've ever seen the term "Black Friday" appear on a Canadian site. Amazon.ca has some deals up but they're nothing extraordinary. Amazon has good prices year round and today hasn't made a noticeable effect on their price points.

I did end up taking advantage of some of Microsoft's Xbox deals though. I bought Portal: Still Alive, Trials HD (and Big Pack add-on), and 'Splosion Man for a grand total of 1220 MS points (roughly $20). That's a pretty good deal for some pretty good games (according to Metacritic). Since buying my 360 slim, I've put together an impressive little list of DLC titles that I can't wait to play. Of course, playing any new games would involve putting away Borderlands which apparently won't happen any time soon.


I've also played a couple short sessions of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood's multiplayer mode. And you know what? I like it! I like the fact that I can earn experience and hold my own without the needing twitch reflexes or yelling into my headset. My typical strategy involves sitting on a bench and waiting for my targets to drop out of the sky. That seems to happen quite often. Though I wonder how the landscape of AC Brotherhood's online games will change once the Halo and CoD freaks crawl back into their holes.

On the portable gaming front, Persona 3 Portable has been a lot of fun. It plays like a classic RPG with a modern-day feel. I like the fact that no effort was made to Westernize the game beyond the game's text and voice localization. And unlike my previous Shin Megami Tensei game experience, I find Persona 3 to be challenging without being frustrating. I guess playing on one of the easier settings was a good choice on my part. I'm definitely not the hardcore gamer I used to be.


My plans for this weekend involve beer, Borderlands, and a whole lot of AC Brotherhood. Rome won't save itself and I've neglected Ezio far too much this past week.

Have a great weekend!

0 comments: