If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Top 3 Most Anticipated Games: 2011 Edition

I've been looking over next year's releases. Thankfully, in terms of my entertainment budget, there doesn't seem to be all that much on my "must-buy" list. Of course, there are still many, many unknowns for some of the titles that I'll be keeping my eye on. My current video game library has just north of forty games as of 6 o'clock this morning. I'd really like to put a dent in that pile of games in 2011.

Despite having a huge backlog of games, there are three titles that I will likely buy on release. I don't really need to say much about any of these games. Each of these three sequels come from game series with excellent track records. I can't see any of these games failing to deliver in terms of story, graphics, design, voice acting, or pure unadulterated fun.

Mass Effect 3: In my opinion, the Mass Effect series has been carrying the banner for next gen RPGs. Despite having focused more heavily on the "action" side of role-playing games in ME2, I enjoyed the innovation and evolution of the standard RPG formula. Mass Effect 3 is the game I'm most looking forward to in 2011.


Batman: Arkham City: Any doubts of Rocksteady's Arkham City living up to the undeniably awesome Batman: Arkham Asylum have vanished completely. The Arkham City trailer look amazing. And I mean AMAZING! Rocksteady has proved to gamers and Dark Knight fans alike that they can deliver an awesome Batman video game. I can't wait!


Portal 2: I was a little torn between The Elder Scrolls V and Portal 2. While I've loved the Elder Scrolls series, I'm a little nervous to see if Bethesda can bring the Elder Scrolls series into the now-mature "next-gen" landscape. I don't want to see anything that resembles the old Elder Scrolls IV/Fallout 3 engine or game style. Valve, on the other hand, know how to deliver a great game. I really hope that sufficient thought has been put into the game design and story for Portal 2. Can Valve deliver a stand-alone Portal game worth the $60-$70 price tag? I really hope so because I have the money to spend given positive critical reception of this very much anticipated sequel.


These three games are not the only ones that I have my eye on for 2011. There are a number of games that have the potential of making 2011 one of the best years of gaming ever! Check back soon for my gaming wildcard picks for 2011.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Dragon Age 2! Assassin's Creed...3?

Looking over the lists of games coming out next year makes me a little nervous. So many sequels, sequels, sequels. I hope there is another Alan Wake on the horizon. Something new and interesting without having 2, 3, or 4 tagged on to the end of it.

But I am itching to play Portal 2's new co-op mode. Watching the demo was a highlight at PAX.

Klopzi said...

@Jessica -

Well, I never played the first Dragon Age so I can't say that I'm looking forward to its sequel.

Assassin's Creed 3 is one of my wildcard entries. I don't know anything about the game yet. Without so much as a trailer, it's hard for me to come out and say that I'm willing to pay full price for that game. But I'm sure that AC3 will find its way into my game rotation when it's released assuming that Ubisoft doesn't drop the ball.

An Alan Wake sequel is something that I'd like to see but fear that poor sales have dashed my hopes. I do wonder if the Xbox 360 250 GB Holiday Bundle is a way for Microsoft to drum up a large enough player base to justify an Alan Wake sequel. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for stopping by!