If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Ninjas and Rocketmen

It seems that I've gone and gotten myself another cold. Started to feel that tickle in the back of my throat yesterday morning. By 8:00 PM last night, I had the full-on sore throat and stuffy nose. And today? Runny nose, sneezing, and the general aches and pains that come with being sick. Although I failed to "really" play any games last night, I had a solid gaming weekend otherwise.

My weekend started off with a few games of You Don't Know Jack. I had my ass handed to me readily by some skilled players and it was wonderful. I think I only need to lose one or two more games to pick up an achievement for coming in second place 5 times. Hopefully I'll continue to run into some solid opposition.

I also finished off Mini Ninjas. All in all, this was a terrific game. I loved the characters, environments, and the overall gameplay. Although this might be due to my lowered expectations going in (budget title, kids' game), I honestly think IO Interactive and Eidos put out a great game. I fear that many gamers out there might miss this title which is a shame. Mini Ninjas is like Ninja Gaiden combined with Viva Pinata: bright, colorful, and filled with deadly ninjas. Actually, I never played Ninja Gaiden so I'm sure my comparison isn't really valid. Bottom line: Mini Ninjas is a solid 5-10 hours of charming fun!

I was all set to play Fairytale Fights but changed my mind at the last minute. I hadn't played a single game starring the voice of Nolan North since playing AC: Brotherhood. I didn't think this feat was possible given the saturation of Nolan North's voice talents across the gaming industry. I decided to put off Fairytale Fights and starting playing Dark Void.

First impressions? A fairly competent action game. The high point is, of course, Nolan North's voice work. The rest of the game feels a bit loose and generic in terms of gameplay and graphics. The vertical cover system is interesting and helps to change things up. All in all, I'm quite happy to be playing Dark Void right now. As long as things don't get too hard, frustrating, or buggy, I'll probably enjoy the game.

I've updated my Year of Gaming 2011 post to reflect the recent changes in my playing schedule. I've also included trailers and my comments on Dark Void and Fairytale Fights below for your reading and viewing enjoyment. Now pass me a Kleenex and let me lie down...



  1. Dark Void: Did you know that it's been two months since I last played a game starring the voice of Nolan North? Well, that situation's been remedied by playing Dark Void. I haven't played very much of the game so far. From the first couple of chapters, it appears that the game is about robots who live in the Bermuda Triangle. And there are rocket packs! I'm interested to see if Dark Void can deliver a solid gaming experience. So far, so good.
    [Status: Now Playing]


  2. Fairytale Fights: I have mixed feelings about Fairytale Fights. I played the demo and it seemed like a mindless hack 'n slash game (or slice 'n dice if you prefer). My only concern is that the charm of the games' characters and enemies may not be enough to carry this bargain bin title. Still, I'm willing to give this game some time - especially if the achievements are easy to unlock. Guess we'll find out soon enough...
    [Status: Next Up]

0 comments: