If you'd like to advertise on this site, please e-mail us to discuss details and rates.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Busy Boy

It's been a busy week of playing Blue Dragon...but the end is in sight! I've also done quite a bit of shopping picking up three new titles. I've tried hard to keep my spending to a mininum this year but that never seems to work. Try as I might, there are just too many games out there that I'd like to play. It doesn't matter whether or not I'll actually have the time to play all the games in my current collection either. I think I'm addicted to the simple act of buying games: good for the video game industry, bad for my wife...

I'm 29 hours into Blue Dragon and I'm really liking it. I was a little worried about the game's length and slow combat but everything's worked out just fine. Mistwalker Studios really knows how to put out an RPG that grabs hold of you and keeps you playing. I've liked all of Blue Dragon's protagonists and the story has been surprisingly interesting. Despite Blue Dragon's cartoony look, some of the game's themes are rather dark comparatively. I should be able to finish off Blue Dragon before the weekend's out.

Next up on my play list is Fallout: New Vegas. I enjoyed each of the games in the Fallout series - though Fallout 3 failed to live up to Fallout or Fallout 2 in terms of my personal satisfaction. I blame achievements and the hopelessly repetitive combat and enemies. That being said, Fallout 3 ranks quite high when compared to other Western RPGs that I've played on the Xbox 360. What's not to like about scouring a nuclear wasteland in search of your father, some extra bottle caps, and heaps of loot buried beneath a swarming mass of radscorpions, ghouls, and mutants?

Since I was able to borrow my current copy of Fallout: New Vegas, I did the right thing and purchased some Fallout DLC from the XBL Marketplace. The Dead Money DLC was on sale for 400 points but at least I gave the Obisidian some of my hard-earned cash. I'll have to make it up to them by picking up Dungeon Siege III when it's finally released later this summer.

I'm on a big RPG kick right now. I'm actually looking forward to playing both Two Worlds and Risen once I've finished off Fallout: New Vegas. I've played very few "bad" RPGs. And despite all the bad things I've read about both of these games, these games are both well-loved by a small subset of gamers out there. I'd really like to make sure that I don't miss out on anything so I'm willing to take my chances with both of these games.

I also picked up a copy of Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper. I'm sure that game will be a steaming pile of sh*t. But I really enjoy point and click murder mysteries, as evidenced by my willingness to play any and all CSI games that come out on the Xbox 360. Hell - I'd buy more CSI games if Ubisoft would just put them out. I wouldn't mind seeing the CSI: NY and CSI: Miami games get their chance on consoles. I'd even enjoy these games if I wasn't guaranteed an easy 1000 achievment points for 5-10 hours of fun.

Ok - off to play some Blue Dragon. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I played the Sherlock Holmes game. It's actually not so bad if you like the point n' click types. Buggy, but not terrible. Watch out, though, with Jack the Ripper as his adversary, the crimes scenes are pretty gory.

Klopzi said...

@Jessica -

Thanks for the feedback regarding SH vs. JTR. Gore doesn't bother me very much and I do like the point and click genre. I'll actually be playing the game later today, I hope.